Musetec (LKS) MH-DA005 DAC

Some history: I was the OP on a four year old thread about the Chinese LKS MH-DA004 DAC. It achieved an underground buzz. The open architecture of its predecessor MH-DA003 made it the object of a lot of user mods, usually to its analog section, rolling op amps or replacing with discrete. The MH-DA004 with its new ESS chips and JFET analog section was called better then the modified older units. It has two ES9038pro DAC chips deliberately run warm, massive power supply, powered Amanero USB board, JFET section, 3 Crystek femtosecond clocks, Mundorf caps, Cardas connectors, etc., for about $1500. For this vinyl guy any reservation about ESS chips was resolved by the LKS implimentaion, but their revelation of detail was preserved, something that a listener to classic music especially appreciated. I made a list of DACs (many far more expensive) it was compared favorably to in forums. Modifications continued, now to clocks and caps. Components built to a price can be improved by costlier parts and the modifiers wrote glowingly of the SQ they achieved.

Meanwhile, during the 4 years after release of the MH-DA004, LKS (now Musetec) worked on the new MH-DA005 design, also with a pair of ES9038pro chips. This time he used more of the best components available. One torroidal transformer has silver plated copper. Also banks of super capacitors that act like batteries, solid silver hookup wire, 4 femtoclocks each costing multiples of the Crysteks, a revised Amanero board, more of the best European caps and a new partitioned case. I can't say cost NO object, but costs well beyond. A higher price, of course. Details at http://www.mu-sound.com/DA005-detail.html

The question, surely, is: How does it sound? I'm only going to answer indirectly for the moment. I thought that the MH-DA004 was to be my last DAC, or at least for a very long time. I was persuaded to part with my $$ by research, and by satisfaction with the MH-DA004. Frankly, I have been overwhelmed by the improvement; just didn't think it was possible. Fluidity, clarity, bass extension. A post to another board summed it up better than I can after listening to piano trios: "I have probably attended hundreds of classical concerts (both orchestral and chamber) in my life. I know what live sounds like in a good and bad seat and in a good and mediocre hall. All I can say is HOLY CRAP, this sounds like the real thing from a good seat in a good hall. Not an approximation of reality, but reality."

melm

Showing 50 responses by lordmelton

@ja_kub_sz I really don't know why you're going down this road, the UK dealer for Tambaqui changed to Musetec and you just read @teknorob23 comparison of the Tambaqui and the 005.

I've personally compared the 005 against a $40,000 DAC and there was a huge difference in the width and depth of soundstaging and nothing lacking in any other areas.

If you're not getting a good sound look elsewhere in your system. I'm a strong believer in source comes first, not DAC.

I listen almost exclusively to '60s,'70s recordings which I know by heart, so I know exactly what they sound like.

Listening to them in DSD is an absolute pleasure with the 005 but PCM is not far behind.

Just pinch yourself and believe you've got the best deal already.

@melm Yes thank you, I have enjoyed this DAC better than any other piece of equipment since I bought my Naim Nait 2 back in the ’80s. I remember back then that no HIFI magazines (no internet then..lol) would review Naim because they wouldn’t pay or bribe their way to good reviews, but as you know the rest is history.

I wouldn’t call the 005 a giant killer or anything else like that, what I would call it is a carefully designed, crafted and sourced DAC. I haven’t opened my 005 but just by looking at pics online you can see the build quality of the PCB. It’s on par with any of the traditional high end manufacturers. They not only built or highly modified their own Amanero board they also put an extra oscillator on it and additionally modified those oscillators to Musetec spec.

This sort of detail is completely unheard of.

Companies like DCS (which I’ve followed since Elgar), Weiss and others have had it far too easy for far too long.

As I’ve said here many times you can buy a 005 and a top flight streamer for the price of one of those over priced DACs.

The sad part about it is too many people just trust the price and not their ears. I’m not going to insult any particular users but there are many out there that just buy products for the name. They don’t want to hear the sound just look at the name.

When I listen to the 005 I hear nothing lacking or I wish was different, just wonderful sound and this is coming from someone who grew up with vinyl and knows all about analogue.

I’m getting the best sound ever now.

@sirnui Well I'm not surprised the Grimm AES/EBU won hands down because you used a $3500 USD AES/EBU cable, but it would probably have won anyway because the USB outputs seem to be only configured for external storage, not properly designed USB signal outputs. I guess this is what "optomised for AES/EBU" means.

No Native DSD possible which would have made a good case for USB.

Downsampling of DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 and
DXD files and streams to 4FS or 2FS with “Pure
Nyquist” decimation filter.

Don't like the idea of a "Decimation Filter", sounds nasty.

However you can play Native DSD over DOP switching on DOP in the 005, as I mentioned in the above post. You should get a better sound for DSD.

Happy Trails

@melm @dbb  Well it's been two months now since I received my Musetec 005 and I can confidently say it's fully burned in. No more nasty surprises and weird noises from capacitors giving up their goods, just fantastic natural, uncoloured sound.

Whatever I've thrown at this DAC it's taken in it's stride. Everytime I've changed IC's it's revealed strengths and weaknesses, the same goes with all cables, USB digital and power. It's very sensitive and revealing to any changes, which a high end component should be.

I like to listen to older recordings and find reward in revealing details that I haven't heard before. Melm, I understand what you were referring to but when you've heard a recording literally thousands and thousands of times and then you are rewarded with new insights, it's a joyful thing.

Seriously the texture of voices and instruments is the best I've heard and I've heard many more expensive DACs.

If this DAC was lacking I'd be the first to send it back and buy something else.

I've got a few hundred classical recordings, mostly chamber music but I don't really listen to them anymore. I've never liked orchestral music and a live recital or opera wouldn't interest me in the slightest.

Almost entirely I listen to 60s and 70s rock, Stones, Steely Dan, Yes, Clapton, Dylan et al.

The only thing that infuriates me is that sometimes the AES/EBU will sound better than than the USB. 90% of the time USB is best and DSD is divine. Both my digital cables are at around $1200 retail but I'd like to have a definitive input that I could go with and buy the very best cable and be done. Sadly not to be, it's going to cost double..lol.

For anyone that's interested my 005 is fed by an Aurender N20 using internal SSD ripped CD (WAV and Flac) and DSD collection.

Custom 10Mhz master clock slaving Aurender N20.

SMC Audio VRE-1 pre-amp.

Virtual Dynamics - Ultra Clear XLR ICs - OMG!

Life is good!

@yyzsantabarbara Hi, I've been through the DPLL settings and the lowest BW01 will give you the most detail and the highest, BW15 will give you a smoother more musical presentation.

The online manual recommends BW01-BW03 for PCM IIRC, and BW06 for DSD.

The settings are more pronounced when you switch from lowest to highest levels. DSD below BW06 is a little too detailed.

Anyone who is afraid that this DAC may sound too digital need not worry they can get whatever settings please them with the DPLL adjustments.

@melm Yes Shenzhen sell the LPS for it but I'll just try it out with a wallwart first because I need to get a 2 or 3 way LPS to give me more plug space.

While I'm here is anyone using the free power cord that came with the 005?

It's absolute garbage, swap it out for immediate sonic improvements. Seriously it's only fit to use on a kettle.

@theatro There shouldn't be any need to update the firmware but Windows will require drivers which you can download here:

http://www.mu-sound.com/service.html

@melm as you have said so many times my friend, no one has EVER returned a 005 or even criticized it by finding anything lacking.

I really don't know why a lot of people find it so difficult to comprehend that here exists a bargain that seems to have been created by Chinese people that love music.

Most Westerners look down on Chinese products and believe they can't outperform what the West churns out. Well the over hyped stuff from Weiss, dCS et al has had it's day, save for the crusty scroats that insist that dollars equal audiophile reproduction.

This DAC allowed me to spend $$$ on cables which would have been a stretch if I'd spent $10k+ on a DAC.

Still most of it's components are imported.

I don't see this DAC as the Chinese want to take over the World DAC. I see it as what enthusiastic audiophiles from China have created at a great price.

It's not a Topping or whatever, it has been created with the upmost attention to detail.

BTW AES/EBU is great but DSD needs USB for whoever asked.

FACT - Hong Kong prices of Western DACs have never been lower. If you don't believe me check it out.

@audioman58 Hi, How you doing? It would be great if you did a shoot out with the 005.

We should have the final results in soon against the Mola Mola.

I'm sure you'd appreciate the 005.

BTW see you're into the Final Touch cables. I'd be very interested to get some info on them.

@melm Regarding USB I’m currently using a Crystal Clear Audio Magnum Opus ll USB

Which I bought off Audiogon. It’s a very good cable and it’s kept up with all the improvements I’ve made to my system.

However top of the heap seems to be Shunyata Omega USB, Final Touch Sinope USB, and the Z:Axis Reference USB, but not sure if this is available yet?

All these cables are $2-3k new and even if you can find used the discount won’t be great.

On paper the Final Touch Sinope looks the most promising it’s used almost exclusively by Aries Cerat DAC owners.

Couple of weeks ago I ordered this, It’s an Amanero board to I2s made by LKS so the RJ45 and HDMI wiring is the same as the 005.

$206 bucks shipped from Shenzhen Audio, thought it’s worth a try. Currently waiting for stock.

@debjit_g Yes I'll be getting a 3 way LPS for my router, Android Box and possibly the LKS USB to I2s.

@sirnui I'm just breaking in my Ediscreation, I got the Extreme Version with the Bybees.

It's inedible even just so far, two days only.

Just listening to Paradise Radio is addictive. Many times better with the Edis.

@debjit_g This isn't a regular black pvc cord it looks like a custom cord with custom plugs, quite fancy.

@romazicon I was only quoting your statement. So you don't believe your own words?

"No one has ever found the 005 incompetent".

Maybe you would like to share with us why the 005 was not for you? If you ever bought one in the first place.

@sns The Taiko has been promoted as the be all and end all of servers/streamers.

If it needs an ASIO driver it must be running a Windows ecosystem.

The "smearing" could have come from anywhere. I've never experienced it.

The best driver is no driver and Linux and Apple support this protocol.

This is why Linux is used in critical applications.

I was surprised that the Taiko offered nothing to the MSB DAC, Aurender N30 will be tested next. Maybe more dreams will be shattered.

@debjit_g Lots of people will have opinions and there will be strengths and differences. I haven't heard the May neither the Terminator but by what I've seen online these two together with the 005 are all well deserved.

Other considerations will persist however. I chose the 005 because I wanted the very best value for money SINGLE box DAC. Same decision pointed me to the Aurender N20 instead of the N30. For several reasons I need to live in my condo presently and space is limited.

I know the Termy is a single box but a big one and it really needs the DDC too.

I'd love to check out the Pass Labs 3 box pre-amp but I'd need to move the wife out.

The philosophy that has always been set in stone in this thread by @melm and all the usual suspects is listen to the May and if you think it's better buy it. If not get the 005 and pocket the extra $3k.

An extra $3k spent on the 005 makes it difficult to beat otherwise you've turned the May into a $10k DAC. Fine if you want to spend that and have the space.

@turcoda Let’s see if we can get your 005 fixed. Here are a few suggestions.

1. It’s going to take a full 8 weeks to burn in.

2. If you are using a Windows computer you must install the Windows ASIO driver, Apple or Linux don’t need drivers.

Click download MH-DA005 USB drivers http://www.mu-sound.com/service.html

3. I suspect you may have put the DVD sound HDMI cable into the I2s/HDMI input on the 005.

4. If you are feeding your DVD sound out into the 005 and then an amp/processor you need to exit the DVD using RCA/COAX Digital or Toslink into the 005 and then use the RCA or AES/EBU analogue outputs into your amp/processor.

I can only surmise on your situation, if you can give a more detailed explanation of your system that would help.

@ja_kub_sz Just a note on DPLL settings for the 005.

Switch to BW01 for PCM and BWO6 for DSD

Also switch off DOP and use the SLOW filter.

Set volume to FIXED.

Looking forward to more updates.

@turcoda OK firstly the problem needs to be isolated, so you need a different source, a laptop, to feed the 005 using the USB. If this is satisfactory then it's most likely an issue with your sound card.

Try and use either the RCA Digital or Toslink from your soundcard to the 005 and see if this works. If it doesn't it could be the DAC.

If it does your USB is receiving too much noise maybe you need a well shielded USB cable or a USB cable with the power line removed.

Amanero boards are self powered.

Or try changing your soundcard and software to an audiophile one like JCAT https://jcat.eu/ and JPLAY http://jplay.eu/

Or try the JCAT USB Isolator https://jcat.eu/product/usb-isolator/

The 005 like most DACs will have the occasional buzzing sound for one or two seconds during the break in period but it seems your noise is much more than that.

You may also try a different DAC but I doubt the DAC is the problem, but it could be.

Good Luck!

@turcoda

Adding a usb card will just add to the total cost of this chain and won’t likely fix this issue.

Ok so how is the USB being sent from your computer? Galvanic isolation starts at source not receiver. If the USB is being output from your mainboard then that’s a huge ball of noise.

You still haven’t said if you tried Spdif or Toslink connections or plugging another USB device into the 005. My thoughts are that the other DACs you have don’t have Amanero Boards and your Super Duper Computer is incompatible with Amanero and you know this but you still think it should work.

SO YOU COMPLAIN - WORK IT OUT OLD SCHOOL

@toddk31 I'm sure that we all look forward to and anticipate Amir's critique with bated breath.

BTW what's Amir's favourite band or CD?

@melm  No problemo buddy, no one at ASR has enough pocket money to buy a 005.

My system has never sounded so good, have a Power House Zero 2 fuse in the power conditioner and four HIFI-Tuning fuses in the power amp and waiting for six Synergistic Purples for the rest.

Life is good. Measure those babies Amir!

Seems like US fresh air is much more expensive than Czech fresh air. At about $9k the Ayre QX-5 Twenty has about $4k worth of fresh air. This blatant profiteering is what will destroy the US audio industry. Disgusting.

Welcome to the wide open spaces!

BTW Okto is made in the Czech Republic, which is in Eastern Europe. There is a war in Eastern Europe. They are probably making instruments of war now.

@twoleftears Thank you for the Geopolitical lesson, I've been to Prague on business.

I was not criticizing the CR in any way. The quality of their CZ firearms is World class.

On ground level though the CR is quite a poor country and lags behind countries like Thailand, Malaysia. Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong.

When I was there in the late 90s the monthly salary was only about $100.

Guess that's changed since they joined the EU.

@debjit_g  I would say the general Chinese business plan is similar to the post War Japanese one. Which is first copy, dump the product on the market and when the competition is on it's knees bring out a cheaper quality product.

I would say the 005 and May and Termy are second generation products but as you say they are not absolute top end.

That is coming. There are many copies of FM Acoustics Pre and Power amps available at different price ranges. I've personally heard $2k copies and they sound really good, better than they should. Even the ICBs have been copied exactly. FM Acoustics is way up there $200k+ per unit.

@melm +1 On Goldensound, I respect the way he's stood up to dCS and the MQA scum, notwithstanding his truly excellent reviews of the May, Spring, Serene, Dave etc.

The Fat German keeps defending MQA to his last breath when everyone else has proved it's a scam in more ways than one.

I am disgusted by Bob Stuart being involved in MQA and doing his best to justify the scam. Shows you can't trust anyone.

They're all laughing now, I believe they sold MQA and someone else is carrying the can.

This is another reason Tidal calls MQA Tidal Masters. Legally different entities.

I posted a month or so ago that I had ordered a L.K.S. USB to I2s converter. Well Shenzhen Audio said I had to wait because they were out of stock but at only $206.00 it wasn't worth complaining.

It was just a curious experiment to finally find out what I2s sounded like and at 200 bucks, well? I had previously almost bought the GD-Audio version which is more expensive at around $1200 plus shipping and custom cable and weighs 5kgs, it's serious kit. Additionally there's the Sonore ultraDigital at $499.00 plus shipping but it is universal, so no custom I2s cable required.

So I wasn't expecting any great shakes for 200 bucks. Received it last week but was in no hurry to set it up. Borrowed about $1500 worth of 5v LPS and power cable from my dealer and fired it up 5hrs ago with a recently purchased Furutech 8k HDMI cable. BTW you can run it from a USB charger with the included 2.1mm USB DC cable.

Man was I WRONG! This thing is amazing, it puts you at front row centre. I know it's not broken in yet and neither is my HDMI input on the 005 but it sounds huge. Detail by the boatload and I was getting plenty before. I can just switch between HDMI and Digital XLR on the fly and it just destroys XLR.

Once it's fully broken in I'll test the difference between HDMI and RJ45 inputs.

The 005 has brought us an amazing product at a fraction of what it's really worth. Honestly this unit takes it to another level. No it doesn't sound analogue or like vinyl. It sounds REAL! As it should.

@melm Hi, From my Aurender N20 I am feeding Digital XLR direct to my 005 and USB to the L.K.S. converter then I2s HDMI to the 005.

This enables me to switch on the fly between I2s and XLR using the 005 remote.

Yes I could have got the L.K.S. LPS but I really wasn’t expecting much here. So I borrowed what I needed. I’ll probably go for a three way DC LPS to save money on power cables because I want an LPS for my router and TV box too.

You don’t need any I2s cables for this setup just ordinary unmodified HDMI or Ethernet cables.

It’s like a component upgrade. I’s not subtle.

All my gear is solid state.

@sns Yes it's unfortunate you never tried I2s but like myself I never believed it could be so good. It's just that Shenzhenaudio had a special on with free shipping and I had some spare change in my Paypal account, so I thought what the heck?

However with the Singxer SU6 you would have had to have gone to the major expense of buying a custom I2s cable.

You are completely correct about pre-amps, they are the heart of a system, well good ones are anyway.

Steve McCormack taught me a long time ago about SS vs valves but you need to pay much more to get a pure SS sound free of distortion. It's all in the design.

I don't know why Pass Labs (which I love) has to make a 3 box pre-amp ????

Spectral pre-amps are very, very special and they haven't upgraded their Super Veloce pre-amp for over ten years. I'm waiting!

BTW DACs just like pre-amps shouldn't have a sound, just give you more space, timing, realism etc. Everything else is colouration or House Sound.

@sns Yes I would have really liked a comparison with the I2s from the SU6.

I think though that one reason the L.K.S. sounds so good is that it’s Musetec’s Amanero board with I2s out. So everything is connected in a straight line without dip switches or re-figured cable. I'm using a Furutech 1.2m 8K HDMI cable.

Still breaking in so I’ll keep everyone updated.

@melm Hi, Yes it's not possible to switch on the fly between USB and I2s but it's irrelevant anyway because you have heard me mention that the XLR and USB outputs from my N20 into the 005 were infuriatingly similar with slight differences between formats.

Honestly the I2s gives such a large boost it leaves XLR and USB in the dust.

It's as I said, front row center, or a singer performing before you in a club. It's not forward, everything else is in focus, a wonderful transformation.

@willywonka Hi, With all respect to you, Mojo Audio doesn't believe in DSD. They promote DOP over DSD. He's FOS. He's a Luddite.

PS Audio have a much better grasp of I2s.

@sns Hi, The Aurender N20 USB and Ethernet inputs are fully galvanically isolated, however using my previous DACs which were Musical Fidelity and Teac, AES/EBU was far superior. Wasn’t until I got the 005 that USB started showing promise.

Initially I was using a Hi Diamond USB cable which was very good but on the recommendation of a friend tried a Crystal Clear Magnum Opus USB which used to be on sale here. Seems they don’t sell here anymore.

It’s a class cable but now I can concentrate on just one output I’ll be looking at a Shunyata Omega or Final Touch USB or similar but I’m in a good place now.

I went down the computer trail for many years but I would suggest you at least give an N20 a demo with a master clock. It’s a solid excellent product.

I also use an Ediscreation Extreme fiber optic box for streaming, everything in one box, which I highly recommend.

It’s really totally amazing what this $200 L.K.S. box can do.

@jeony Hi, There's probably a good chance it'll work. However to be exact you'll need a custom cable or look on You Tube about changing over wires in HDMI and RJ45 (easiest) cables. There are even Chinese RJ45 cables designed for this.

Or get one of these https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/l-k-s-audio-usb-100-usb-audio-interface-pcm384-dsd512-i2s-rj45-hdmi-coaxial-out-dsd512-with-crystek

I'm sure if you ask them nicely if you can have the Easter special price of $206.00 including shipping they'll agree. Then you can use any standard HDMI or RJ45 cable into a 005.

@debjit_g 

@lordmelton if you really want to take the i2s over hdmi to its maximum level, take a look the Wireworld platinum series hdmi cables.

What I've found over the last few days is that I had huge break-in issues on par with breaking in the 005 in the first place. Really crazy swings from sublime to unlistenable. Fortunately I'd been in this place before so I persevered.

Wasn't sure if the break-in was caused by the 005 I2s inputs or the L.K.S. unit.

I got so frustrated that I checked the cable directions. HDMI was marked and correct but since the RJ45 was not marked for direction I swapped it around and YES, it just opened up.

So at the moment RJ45 is winning with a very natural sound with deep detail but plenty of rhythm. The HDMI is at about 85% of the RJ45. It's a little bright.

This is not a scientific experiment except I've tried to match the cables as closely as possible, they are both 1.2m and Furutech NCF models.

I'm going to wait to be confident that both I2s inputs are fully burned in before deciding to go with HDMI or RJ45. RJ45 would be more practical, not much use for 0.5m HDMI cables outside I2s.

Got an AQ Diamond RJ45 lined up to try next week. Really intrigued by the WW Platinums, good sign not many used available.

@melm and everyone else that disputed the I2s vs USB comparison. Well you were rght and wrong, well sort of, at the same time.

The reason I now believe why I2s is giving me such a great sound, better than USB, is because of the DC LPS I’m using.

@debjit_g got me thinking about the huge power supply he’d made to his JCAT USB card and his comments about the importance of USB power.

Well, I’m using a Plixir 5v DC 4A LPS which weighs 3.7kgs about 8lbs and has a massive custom made Noratel single winding torrodial transformer made in the UK.

So this setup with the AC power cable is over half the price of the 005 and half the weight!

There are many posts on the net about disconnecting the power supply from the Amanero board and creating a separate, individual power supply. This is what has essentially happened with the L.K.S.100 DDC.

Melm you got me wondering why the L.K.S. sounded better when the internal Amanero board had 3 custom oscillators as opposed to the L.K.S.’s 2 Crystek oscillators.

So short or drilling, cutting and soldering the 005’s Amanero board, it’s a solution.

So Voila, there you have it!

https://www.plixirpower.com/products/plixir-elite-bdc-2a-4a-6a

@melm The taping thing is to stop interference between the USB power supply conductors and the signal conductors. Nothing to do with the Amanro Board.

I got a very good result so my USB output must be very noisy.

@sns I would like to take I2s directly out of the Aurender and I think this could be possible because Oppo Mod in Korea is doing this for Oppo players. I will contact them. I'd love to try the Innous USB DDC but it's not going to happen just yet.

I've just ordered a WW Starlight 0.5m RJ45 and 0.6m Furutech NCF RJ45, both for I2s. Going to see if the shorter lengths make a difference. PS Audio recommends 0.5m or less.

There has been no imagination or beliefs of expectation, all the improvements have been very obvious and I've switched back to USB several time for confirmation and it's well below the SQ of I2s.

For $200 the L.K.S. is well worth a try. Soon we should have a report from the chap who ordered the Sonore Digital.

@sirnui Hi, I see that you have used the Innous USB DDC. What is your evaluation of it?

It has a very good LPS and a custom clock for the USB DDC.

@car123  Hi, I'm glad you had a positive experience with the Sonore. If you are looking to take it to the next level (I2s) may I suggest you try out the L.K.S. USB to I2s DDC. Reason being it has a RJ45 I2s output which I have found to be superior to HDMI. This could be for various reasons, cable model used etc.

However there is no doubt in my mind at the moment that RJ45 is best in my system.

Hot Rodding the L.K.S. with a top flight DC LPS such as Plixir, Farad, Ediscreation to name a few and a quality AC cable will really surprise you with the results.

Please do not be dismissive of the L.k.S. because it's low priced. It's quality.

Your next option could be the Matrix X which has a big following over on the PS Audio Forum for converting USB to I2s to feed into PS Audio's Direct Stream DAC. Custom cable required.

Negative is no RJ45 I2s.

https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/matrix-x-spdif-2-32bit-768khz-dsd512-hifi-audio-usb-interface

Last is the Audio GD, again no RJ45 I2s and very heavily engineered and will require a custom cable to the 005.

http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/DI20HE/DI20HEEN.htm

Since most I2s is HDMI it's good to have more than one input and/or RJ45.

Happy Listening

@sirnui Hi, So are you also using the L.K.S. DDC or another DDC?

Great write up BTW.

Talking about clocks many people say an external master clock only works for SPDIF but if I disconnect it from my Aurender everything gets deflated.

I'm only using USB out to the L.K.S. now and with some SR Purple Fuses in my system I'm getting the best sound ever.

@debjit_g

If you decide to buy the WW hdmi, be patient to give at least 500 hrs to it. Though I don't have direct experience with WW ethernet cables but the Starlight 8 is a good buy and not that expensive.

I managed to get a custom made WW Starlight CAT 8 Ethernet cable (The red one) it's about 0.4m, maybe a little less. Good price only $120.00

This cable is crystal clear, hyper detailed through clarity. You can hear every bass note being played. I can't say it's sterile or uninvolving just mega clear. I know it needs more burn in but for I2s it's too clear and revealing.

I've just received my 0.6m Furutech NCF Ethernet cable and that's put everything back in the zone, I can hear guitar distortion and fuzz pedals again.

So the WW Starlight is currently between my Ediscreation Fiber Box and Aurender N20. The Ediscreation has Bybee Purifiers and they seem to be taking the edge off the WW and it all seems to be balancing out nicely.

@sirnui Oh, I remember now you bought the Grimm MU1. I have heard that streamer and it gave a very delicate sound very suited to classical type recordings.

It's been a constant battle between AES and USB for me until I got the LKS 100. Now I've stopped switching between them and I've got the sound that I want.

Regarding Purple fuses, if they are the wrong way around you will realise after about two hours that the bass has disappeared and the sound is without body.

The 005 has a Chinese tuning fuse inside already so you will get an improvement but not so much, however your pre-amp should get a massive boost. Only put one fuse in at a time to make sure they are correct.

@sns Hi, The only way for you and @melm to put this matter to rest is to get a LKS 100 and see for yourselves.

All I can say is it's the best sound I've ever heard in my system and it's significantly better than only USB. We all know that USB is jitter central so there are major changes at work here.

I've learned I2s has different requirements from regular Ethernet. Firstly I2s doesn't like the Telegartner cast alloy type plug headshells. Gold plated types give much better results.

Finally it's a much better sound, everything is multiplied, detail, texture, timing, soundstage, imaging....everything, not just a different sound.

@debjit_g  Pink Faun with only RJ45 I2S output 22k Euros, I think I'll stay with the LKS 100 and my Aurender N20.

If I get the opportunity to demo them I will.

@sns Despite several people fully agreeing that they prefer the USB/I2s setup I find it quite disconcerting that you don’t believe us. I think the LKS 100 works so well is because it’s a simple design, basically straight through with quality Crystek 957 oscillators. I’m in an extremely happy place right now.

Let me explain my setup once again.

1. 5G Optical straight into my rack, terminated in my router.

2. 1.2m Furutech Ethernet from router to Ediscreation Extreme with Galvanic via Optical isolator.

3. 0.4m WW Starlight Ethernet to galvanically isolated RJ45 input on Aurender N20

4. From N20 Crystal Clear Cables USB without power conductor to LKS 100

5. LKS 100 to 005 via RJ45 Furutech 0.6m Ethernet cable.

I listen to my ripped CDs and SACDs, played from the N20 SSD, combined with Tidal/Qobuz. I am getting excellent results with all.

Again I would like to thank @debjit_g for his WW Ethernet recommendation, it really synthesizes with the Ediscreation Extreme. I guess I’ll get the Platinum soon. The Starlight is crazily good for the price.

@sns I guess someone will be along soon who has a true I2s output that can be switched between I2s and USB, we live in anticipation.

@sirnui Hi, The SR Purple fuses are directional but Ted Denney, CEO of SR says that direction cannot be guaranteed.

The Blue and Orange and most other fuses do not have this issue.

Two days ago I put a Purple fuse into a DC LPS and I was sure I got it right, but last night I just got a feeling something was missing. Swapped it around and BANG big change.

I suggest you leave your fuses as you have inserted them, then after 24 hours swap them around one at a time to be absolutely sure they are in the correct direction.

Please believe me it works.