Moving up from a Node 2i

I want to keep it between 1K and 1500.00, closer to a grand if at all possible. I don't care about onboard DACs, since I have a keen liking for mine. What is out there for a streamer, new or used, that will sound better than the Node when outputting to an external DAC? I like the functionality of the Node, don't want something with a sketchy user interface. But honestly, I think my old Allo Digione (Raspberry Pi) might have sounded a little more organic and fleshed out than the Node.

What say ye, Audiogon?

Oz

128x128ozzy62
My thoughts is it has more to do with the hardware and software of the delivery  mechanism. I like my Node2i  to me it sounds good in my system but I know something like a Matrix Element X uses much better hardware from the dac to the controllers for USB and digital inputs. 
Got started in streaming with a Node2 serving files off my PC. Initially used the Node2’s onboard DAC, but found it lacking when compared to the one in my Resolution Audio Opus 21 CD player. The Opus has a digital-in connection, so I ran the Node2 through it; problem solved. The Node2 made for an inexpensive introduction to streaming and I used it for a couple of years.

Unlike other commentors, IME, Bluesound’s technical support was poor. To be fair, my network setup, in particular the security which is required by my work, is fairly complex and their techs didn’t have the expertise to deal with it. Certainly not the level of support one would expect from a network device company. Their fixes were almost always "you need to reconfigure your network" which simply wasn’t going to happen. The most chilling was "you need dedicated storage and should look at ours." There were instances of unprofessional behavior. Someone less technical, with a more standard network and insensitive to technicians pushing the upsell and being rude might be happy with Bluesound’s support. I was certainly not.

Started a significant system upgrade early last year and have replaced almost everything. First up was the addition of a QNAP NAS to serve up files (contrary to what the tech who tried to upsell me said, it did not resolve the issues with the Node2). Next, the Node2 was replaced by a SimAudio Moon MiND 2.

Did a head-to-head comparison between the two streamers, running both through the Opus’ DAC. The Mind 2 bested the Node2 by a significant margin. The MiND 2 delivered a decidedly cleaner and fuller sound. Just more of everything. Also did blind tests with friends and the result was the same. Their impressions of the MiND 2 echoed mine.

So far I am extremely happy with the Mind 2 and now have it paired with a Benchmark DAC3. My one disappointment with the MiND 2 is that its Android interface software was lacking (word is the Apple version is better). That was fixed through an upgrade to Roon, which is a fantastic product. So good that I bought a perpetual license.

Can’t comment on SimAudio or Roon’s technical support. Their products are so well thought out and designed that I haven’t had a single issue. Not one! The price for just the MiND is a little over your budget, but not by a lot. Happy to answer any questions you might have, too.

Good luck with the upgrade.
I received my TEAC NT-505 yesterday and had a chance to do some listening last night.  Here are my first impressions compared to my Node 2, which was using my Auralic Vega DAC (via coax) instead of the Node 2's internal DAC. 

The NT-505 has a larger soundstage, better imaging, is more detailed, and is slightly warmer.  I know the Node 2 sounded better with the Vega than it's internal DAC, so it's a definite step up from the Node 2.  I have no way of saying how much difference the streamer itself made, as there's no way to connect the NT-505 to an external DAC, so I couldn't try it with the Vega as the DAC for a more "apples to apples" comparison.

I can't say that any of the improvements were "dramatic", they were all subtle, but do add up to a better listening experience, at least on first blush.  I can see myself spending more time doing "critical listening" while streaming.  Most of the time, I have used the Node 2 as background music, or to play music from my network.

Whenever I make changes to my system it usually takes a while before I notice all the little nuances, so I'm looking forward to spending more time with it. 

Is it worth four times the cost of a Node 2?  I think it will be over the long run, but that's up to the individual.

The Lumin software (I'm using that instead of TEAC's) was a little confusing at first, but I like that it just hooked up to the NT-505 right away, you don't have to go through the process of connecting to the unit like you do with the Bluesound devices.  I wish it had Radio Paradise, but other than that, I think it meets my needs.  It didn't take me long to get familiar with the interface, but I don't think it's as intuitive as the Bluesound app.  As time allows I'll play around with some of the upsampling features and may get the Master Clock Generator at some point.