Motherboard SDIF Output Or Soundcard

Hey everyone, I'm using my computer as a source of music. I'm really happy with the sound. Just wondering if it will be worth it to buy a higher end sound card. What do you guys think? 

Rig: Running an Asus X99 Pro Motherboard. Using a 6 meter long Audioquest toslink cable from motherboard to Musical Fidelity V90 DAC, to Parasound JC2 Preamp, to a Parasound A21 amp, and finally, to Von Schweikert V4.5 speakers. 

joe_navarra

Showing 2 responses by audioman2015

I would recommend an USB Interface and a USB isolator.  I use a Schiit Wyrd ($99) to isolate the USB signal from a noisy computer port and then a Gustard U12 ($160) to convert to spdif.  The Gustard has dual TXCO to minimize jitter and it sounds fantastic.  
gdnrbob:  Yes there is a significant difference.  The sound is tighter with a lower noise floor.  USB ports on computers are VERY noisy devices and the Wyrd repeater helps.  What I like about it is that it uses a linear power supply (the adapter is AC) and then has precision regulation inside the unit.  It worked so well for me that I ended up buying a second unit to be used at my office.  For $99 it does its job well.  Even high-end dacs can benefit from it.