Mosfet vs. Bipolar revisited and the Belles 350A

I have always favored bipolar outputs with mosfet drivers until I ran into the Belles 350A. I stated this preference in a thread sometime ago. After listening to the 350A, I have to do an about face (at least with this amp.) The 350A uses 3 gain stages and operates almost entirely in class "B" with a very little of class "A."
I have heard a lot of amps but never one so neutral, transparent, reveiling and most any other attribute. It also has unbelievable bass control, pitch definition and lower transparency. No Mosfet haze here.
I have been using a Theta Dreadnaught 4-ch amp biwired. I must say, this amp IS better with my Vandersteen 3A Signatures. You can actually not use the subs(pair of 2wq's) and not really miss anything. I have not found this level of performance in this price range before($3495) I finally get to really hear these speakers do their thing.
I have adopted opinions over the 35+ years I have been playing with this stuff but I have never run across an amp that totally changed my way of thinking like this one. This is the overall best amp I have found (so far) driving the Vandersteen's.
bigtee

Showing 1 response by jrobin

I am not a technician, so any analysis of the over 100 amps experienced in the past 30 years comes by hearing alone. I am part of the generation that only had bipolars, and a few exotic variations in the 70s, and every year someone had "the" answer to improve their sound. My first "breakthru" amp was a Tandberg 3006. I did not know why, but it stayed in the system for 5 years, even as I was actively trading for profit other amps. At some point, the suggestion of "mosfet" as the reason was given to me. So, I tried that line. Hitachi, B&K, Muse - had strengths and irritations. They went, the Tandberg - three models over a 10 year period - kept returning to my system.
I did get the unexpected opportunity to possess an OCM200, which is a Belles design. Normally $1400 amps would be out of my range, but this one came cheap, so I listened. I would say that I have never had any amp that overall as a full range amp I would rate superior to the OCM200. Everything the previous writer said about his Belles is dittoed for the OCM. If I was listening to a single speaker full range, the OCM200 would still be with me. It is only because of one of its STRENGTHS that I very reluctantly let it go. It has the slam, slightly elevated bottom octave energy of the Bryston line - a wonderful attribute. But, I use a satelite/sub system, and the bottom octave energy actually put too much low energy into the satelites. The synergistic effect was to bloat the 80 - 120 hz energy region in my room. No combination of crossover/equalization would solve the problem without breaking the seemless transition. Oh how I wanted to keep it, but I had to face the facts.
A Tandberg integrated amp - 3012 - now handles the satelites. The Tandberg is "normal" regarding bass - and normal is excellent without slam. From 100hz up, there is no loss of detail, depth, musicality using the Tandberg. I actually prefer the integrated over the Tandberg power amp. The front end controls also make fine tuning, and timbre changes - such as music versus movies - a snap. I have compared the Tandberg with CJ, new generation Adcom, Coda, Kinergetics, new generation Denon. The 20 YEAR OLD DESIGN of the Tandberg 3012 proves to me the point of design execution. I have stopped "auditioning".
While I have a slight preference for mosfets, I concur that design execution and system synergy are the most important factors in personal system satisfaction. But I had an advantage in being a heavy trader. As a heavy trader, you get to eliminate the bull, the marketing, the snob appeal, the reviewers, and judge the product for what it actually does. I can buy whatever I really want, yet I love the fact that my system is made up of no individual component with a market value of more than $350!!
But, so that my opinion my be lowered to its appropriate level, I confess to using anyones leftover interconnects and hardware store 12 gauge cord for the speakers. I cannot hear differences at this level, and it breaks my heart to read the ads listing $1200 of 1998 recommended component interconnects now for sale at $400. I am VERY glad that I do not hear at this level of resolution.
But that's another topic.
jrobin out.