More on the VR4seIII

The instructions I read when I recieved mine state that if your into rock,heavy metal you need to bi-amp these speakers. I earlier asked what are people useing successfully with these speakers ,and see nowhere that users are bi-amping. I dont feel Im geting the best out of mine thus the reason for asking for help. Has anyone run a tube amp for the top, and solid state for the bottom. Im considering getting the RM 200 for the top and maybe Belles 150A HR for the bottom. Or Bel Canto for the bottom, or Halo for the bottom. See what I mean? Im not sure ,please advise if you would. Thanks Map1
map1
LouIs1,
Its nice to know Im not the only one going through this. The ARc MK1-MKII sounds good, but heres what Ive done latley. I purchased two Bel-Canto EVO200.2,s that were entended to go into my seperate home theatre system for My AVM20. I thought I would go ahead and try them with the VR4,s first in my music room, because thats where my ultimate goal is. First I hooked up ONe Bel-CANTO in bi-wire, sounded ok but nothing special. Uhm, ok so next I bridged them, very powerfull that way up to 8oo watts short term. Sounded good but still NO magic, Uhm, then bi-amped them one for top one for bottom that way they seemed totally out of balance. Finally, last attempt with these amps. I vertically bi-amped them. Bingo, 3-demintional I finially started to realise that these speakers could really live up to all the hype. Best Ive ever heard them to date. I knew I was at least on to something. However once I took them up really loud, more than my nomal listening level I noticed that the tops took over and was loseing bass on the bottoms, so I cant live with this eather so those amps, which due sound great by the way are going to go to the home theatre room after all. But If I wasnt getting magic from these speakers with 800 wt mono blocks bi-wired and before I go out and by the big VAC amp that Im thinking Of it still seems like bi-amping is the way to go. But I think you said you got way to much bass that way. I wonder if anyone has tried to do this but with useing an outboard crossover to balance the tube top and SS bottom. Im getting alot of suggestions to use the power of the JC-1 or the big tube VAC, BUT.... if two 800wt mono blocks didnt get right Im just not understanding how one bi-wired stereo amp is going to be able to do it. Can you or anyone reading this maybe clear this up for me?
The JC-1's will control the bass a whole heck of a lot more then the bel canto 200.2's, even when they are used as monbolcks. I have owned both (by the way, I liked the 200.2's..taht is not a knock on them). The JC-1 has a grip on the bass unlike a any amp I have heard in its price range. It is pretty incredible. You won't loose bass control with the JC-1's on the VR4's, even at incredibly loud volumes (I also own the VR4's).
Drhst20, thanks for the input. I checked out your system by the way, very empressive. You are one of many that suggest the JC1, must be a great amp, if your famialer with my threads, what Im searching for is liquid so thick you could cut it with a knife. Image float correct soundstage all while maintaining detail through all the frequencies, not much I know but I know its out there. I want goosebumps. Is the Jc1 going to do that? I know your very happy with your system, and since all this is a little like ice cream, every body likes a differant flavor. So what Im asking is your system giveing you that thick rich 3 deminsional sound that Im talking about? Yes I do want the amp to take over and drive the speaker, and get that kind of bass control that you have. Take over might not be the right words, but it will or will not make your speakers disappear into the kind of soundstage that your looking for. Would you still recommend the Jc1 for liquid goose bumps over power?
I do not think you will get "liquid so thick you could cut it with a knife" our of the JC-1's. I can only think of one amp that will give you absolute control with that kind of midrange..and that is the Lamm 1.2 Ref (a great but expensive amp). Other less powerful amps may do that, but you need some power to drive the VR4's. It really sounds like you are going to need some tubes. I prefer a less tube like sound in favor of absolute transparancy. And you are absoultly right, everyone likes a different flavor. Good luck on your search.
I was wondering has anyone found that useing Von-Schwiekerts ribbon foil wire hooked up to these speakers to make a significant differance one way or the other? As opposed to any other good Hi-end wire?
More to discover