More expensive = better?

Because I have never owned any very high end gear I’m wondering if an $8000 integrated amp will sound jaw dropping better than a $5000 one? Right now my system is Parasound JC2 and SMC Audio DNA1 Gold. 

Thanks in advance,

Ben

honashagen

Showing 2 responses by cd318

No it won't. Not jaw dropping. Why should it?

In fact it might not even sound better than a $100 one.

It's far more important to match the amplifier to your speakers in terms of power and drive.

A second opinion, preferably a non audiophile one, might also prove invaluable when auditioning.

Bear in mind also, that certain features can prove useful, eg a mono button or a balance switch etc.

@wesheadley,

"No one will take a bet with me that they will be able to price rank a series of cables on a blind A-B test."

There is the very difficult, and the impossible.

This one falls into the later category.

As you said, you could probably also include CD players as well as amplifiers and still find no takers.

Let’s face it, even with loudspeakers, it’s far from easy.

What we can easily hear, eg bandwidth, scale and tone are qualities that don’t always equate to cost.

It’s a pity that Harman aren’t able to publish the results of many decades of blind listening tests at the their testing lab. That data could certainlybe interesting to anyone with a long term interest on audio.

Seeing as how it’s unlikely to be in the interests of national security perhaps there should be a 10 year disclosure rule.

After all, it’s faintly ridiculous enough that the full JFK files have remained undisclosed for almost 60, and that Pfizer BioNTech have demanded 75!

[USA – The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) says it now needs 75 years to fully release Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine data to the public].