monster m1000 d?

has anyone used these and what do you think.... they were 100 $ and now there$50
bbaxley2
Tweak: Thanks for clarifying that and pointing out that one can get the same for less. That's never a bad thing to know : )

I have one of these that i bought from Audio Advisor when they were on sale and i had some type of a discount coupon. I think it cost me $35 at the time, which was not bad ( as far as cables go ).

From what i can remember, this cable sounds somewhat warm and thick. Upper mids are lacking, which creates problems with the upper harmonics of voice and spoken word. The mid-bass was somewhat wooly and ill-defined. The treble was not too bad but seemed a tad soft and lacking attack. I think that most of the sonic signature has to do with the dielectric being used and the fact that it has a foil shield.

In case you couldn't tell, it doesn't come across as the typical "silver sound" type cable. It might work okay in a system that was lean, forward and somewhat bright i.e. a receiver based system with an inexpensive digital front end. Since that is typically the market that buys a LOT of Monster products, i would say that they voiced the product to suite the needs of the people that would end up buying it.

As such, i would not consider this a "high resolution" or "transparent" cable by any means. It is more of a "flavoured" product that could be used as a "band aid" if you know what i mean. Not necessarily a bad thing, if that is what you are looking for. Just don't get you hopes up and think that you've found a "killer deal on a world beater" like i thought i did when i ordered it. : )

Same goes for the inexpensive Audioquest silver plated digital cable too. It too has its' high points but is not a great performer on the whole. I think that the Audioquest cable set me back something like $27 - $28 dollars with the same coupon. Sean
>
Sean, Both the M1000d and M1000v are silver over copper construction. They differ in only two ways, package and price.
Compare the actual construction of a M1000D and a M1000V. They are the same cable and Monster charges a higher retail for the digital than the the same relabeled and repackaged video cable. Besides this obvious error in marketing judgement they sound the same as the still cheaper M500V.