Monitors with Built In Center Channels

Center channel placement is an issue for me in one of my HT systems that is located in a built in.  Currently the cc resides above the TV.   The cc takes some space as well, limiting me to a 55 inch screen where a 65 inch would otherwise fit.  Dialog improved considerably when I added an AVR with room correction but I was reading a review of a Sony OLED with a built in cc.  As I understood it the entire monitor is a cc with the sound emanating from the screen.  Theoretically this should be possible with either planar magnetic or electrostatic type membranes but the review and what I Googled are fairly mum on this.  Does anyone have experience with such a monitor?
mahler123

Showing 1 response by ethos123

Why not just eliminate the center channel and use the R & L mains with a phantom center setup on your AVR? The review mentions the quality isn’t nearly as good as the dedicated speakers in their setup. If your front speakers can be equidistant from the TV and you sit between them in front of the TV, I doubt you’d be better off with even the best built-in TV speaker. I had similar issues with a compromised center (had to fit on the mantle that wasn’t deep enough for a match to my mains) and I got better results with simply removing it.