Monitors $1,000 to $2,000?

Category: Speakers

Just getting started here. Currently I am looking at:

o Joseph Audio RM7si MK2s
o Monitor Audio Gold Reference (GR) 10s

It is a mid- to large-sized room so a sub will likely eventually be paired. Music selection will vary widely with an emphasis on Jazz and Blues, most likely sourced from a universal player to be deterimed and amped from either a Unico/ Unison Research or a nicely moded Jolinda 302B.

So...

o Which would your pick be?
o What else should I look at?
o Which amp would you pair with?

Thanks so much!
kahana
Joseph Audio Versus Monitor?

It is all a matter of taste, but you asked for opinions, so
here's mine: I am not a fan of Joseph Audio speakers.
I find them too laid back and too smooth -- no punch.

But -- hey -- that's just me.

When I was auditioning them, there was another guy
in the room who was groovin' along and declared them great, "pipe and slippers" type speakers.
Check out the System Audio SA2K at http://www.system-audio.com/showpage.asp?siteid=2&id=312. I discovered these $3500 monitors at the 2002 CES being demoed with the BAT VK300x integrated and haven't heard anything better the past 16 months. I "upgraded" from the $5000 Sonus faber Electa Amator I's that had the Esotar T660 tweeters! The SA2K's use modified Scanspeak Revelator drivers. The highs are sweet and non-fatiguing, the bass is unbelievable down to 40Hz -1.5dB and female vocals in particular sound live. If you want punch & balls using tubes for jazz & blues, these monitors are a must audition. I'm driving them with an all tube Kora Galaxy & Eclipse system. The SA2K's have been listed on A'gon between $1700~$2K.
Thank you for all your replies thus far. This last weekend I auditioned both the Monitor GR10s and Josephs... The GR10s had exceptional imaging and response, but lacked the sweet fullness of the Josephs. I can definitely see the "pipe and slipper" side, but was really impressed with how they (the Josephs) handled a wide range of selections, including several complex symphony passages that have muddied many other top-end monitors I've listened to. More as I go along, and I will check out the other suggestions above!
I currently own the previous version of the Joseph (RM7si signatures),of which I an extremely fond. In my setup (Simaudio I5 & Rega Jupiter2000) the imaging/defintion is outstanding, the response impressive for a modestly priced monitor. I truly beleive the sim is the crucial/critical element in this setup; I have not heard the new 7's or the Monitor Audio, so I can't comment on those. The josephs keep me grinning...period. I will not be looking for another pair of speakers for awhile (unless a pair of Tyler Acoustic Linbrook monitors should happen my way!).
Speaking of, you may want to give the Taylo Reference a listen, I beleive they fall into your price range. Cheers & happy hunting!