MoFi controversy

I see this hasn't been mentioned here yet, so I thought I'd put this out here.  Let me just say that I haven't yet joined the analog world, so I don't have a dog in this fight.

It was recently revealed that Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs one step LPs are being cut from digital masters (DSD) rather than being straight analog throughout the chain.

Here is one of the many Youtube videos that discusses it

To me, it seems that if MOFI is guilty of anything, it's "deception by omission."  That is, they were never open about the process and the use of digital in the chain. 

One thing to mention is that hardly anyone is criticizing the sound quality of these LPs, even after this revelation.  Me personally, I wouldn't spend over one hundred dollars for any recording regardless of the format.

ftran999

Dear @moonwatcher  : Agree. For the last 2-3 years I was and am focus to put at minimum every single distortion developed through the whole system chain and I did and do it at every single link on that chain.

I'm fine tunning my system that today has an incredible resolution that permits really easy to note any " microscopic " differences and that permit to enjoy the MUSIC the most.

I'm not buying hardware because I don't need it any more but improving what I have. My last move was to take out the caps in the speaker woofers crossover and left only the pure silver ribbon inductor and I will try to do the same with the speaker tweeter silk dome. At the end the best cap is no cap at all.

Details as those makes MUSIC.

R.

My last move was to take out the caps in the speaker woofers crossover and left only the pure silver ribbon inductor and I will try to do the same with the speaker tweeter silk dome. At the end the best cap is no cap at all.

@rauliruegas One important function of the crossover is to prevent the driver from operating out of its proper region. Depending on the driver this could mean that without those caps you might have more breakups audible- increasing distortion. I would do this with care if I were you.

@rauliruegas ,

I am not sure I have seen a woofer that does not have some breakup at higher frequencies, at least to some degree and this is especially true when you look at the off-axis response. The problem with only using the inductor is that the impedance of the woofer goes up with frequencies. Hence that single inductor is not going to attenuate that breakup very much. You may end up with something that sounds lively with some music, but pretty bad with other music. You need to capacitor to turn the woofer off before it starts creating problems. If you don’t want the cap, perhaps an active crossover would be a better path.

Sorry @atmasphere I hadn't refreshed this tab and didn't see your reply.

Dear @theaudioamp  : Before I did it I connected the woofer hard wired to the amps outputs, this is with out inductor/caps and performs good with out any breackup I been aware with and my system has very high resolution with almost non-existent noise floor.

I really appreciated your post as the @atmasphere  too. Now, you said:

"" You need to capacitor to turn the woofer off before it starts creating problems. ""

Which kind of problems could be to appear in the woofer or amps.? can be damaged the woofers. Are excellent ADS drivers?

Thank's in advance,

R.

Which kind of problems could be to appear in the woofer or amps

@rauliruegas 

Many woofers break up at higher frequencies. The breakups are great in a blues guitar amps but they really aren’t good for hifi. Breakups are portions of the cone that are no longer acting as a piston with the rest of the cone. Its like a resonance but doesn’t show up in the impedance curve. This is one reason ’full range’ drivers don’t work all that well unless crossed over.