Modwright sony xa5400 vs Modwright Oppo 95

Anyone got a chance to compare modded xa5400 and Oppo 95 units? How would you define the overall sound character of the two? I am using Merlin speakers with ARS filarmonia amplifier. I like to listen Jazz and Classical mainly. Would like to have a great resolution, vocal clarity, focused sound stage and full bodied presentation (..of Piano and string instruments).
Not looking for comparison between stock and modded units.
Please help me decide between the two. Thanks.
celestial_audio

Showing 7 responses by knghifi

Jwm, what tubes are you rolling in the MW Oppo and Sony?

I'm rolling TS 5u4gb and BT CVBT-181s in my MW Transporter. I prefer the BT over the Sophia's ... BT is more musical and Sophia a little harder sounding.

From my experience, with a little work, the MW Transporter is competitive with players costing much more. Several months ago dealer dropped off a Lampizator L4, had it for a week or so and the showdown was very interesting.
Wig, I tried Sylvania bad boys and it was too sweet for my taste. At the time I was using a Mullard GZ32 so probably too much of a good thing.

I found the Transporter is also very sensitive to rectifier tube. It took a while and $$ to find the right combination but well worth it. I like the BT and TS combination so getting off the bus for now.
Rfogel8, if you like the Tung-Sol RP, I think you will like the Black Treasure.

In my next tube order, I'll try some of your suggestions.
I have a MW Transporter and I think the analog section is probably very similar to the Oppo and Sony. I found Elrod Statement II the best PC on the Transporter ... also the Lamp. Improvements are NOT aubtle.
Wig, I also find your results exact opposite with the CV181.

Compare to the Sophia, Sophia is harder, edgier in a negative way, less musical and airy. Imaging and soundstaging similar.

As far as fuses, I'm using all HiFi Tuning. Keeping everything constant, volume, tracks ... I A/B stock vs HiFi-Tuning in my preamp and found HiFi Tuning much much superior. I repeated the test 7 to 8 times just to confirm my results. Also the direction of the fuse makes a huge difference. In the wrong direction, sound is limiting and very lean. FWIW, In the latest TAS, Shunyata can now measure differences in fuses.
Wig, I don't have a MW Sony but MW Transporter. Fuse is not easily accessible and forgot the direction. In my VAC Sig MKIIa preamp, facing the fuse holder, I prefer the right to left direction.

The difference and improvements were so dramatic, I repeated the test many many times to confirm it wasn't just too much wine from dinner :-) I'm not into tweaks but these do make a difference.

Please report your results after everything settles. I will be very interested.
12-20-12: Dave_b
Modwright has a special this weekend only...I just ordered my second XA5400ES full mod wt Truth Umbilical and Bybee purifiers for the AC rails:) I made the mistake of selling my first one and have lamented ever since:( There will be music again, sometime near the middle of January!!
Dave_b (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)
Dan is taking orders on MW Oppo 105 and I would wait for owner reviews before ordering a XA5400.

There's an AC thread and appears 105 is a BIG winner.