Modwright sony xa5400 vs Modwright Oppo 95

Anyone got a chance to compare modded xa5400 and Oppo 95 units? How would you define the overall sound character of the two? I am using Merlin speakers with ARS filarmonia amplifier. I like to listen Jazz and Classical mainly. Would like to have a great resolution, vocal clarity, focused sound stage and full bodied presentation (..of Piano and string instruments).
Not looking for comparison between stock and modded units.
Please help me decide between the two. Thanks.
celestial_audio

Showing 6 responses by dave_b

I'll make this simple...the Denon DCD A100 is one of the finest SACD/CD players I have ever owned. It cost me $1499 new from Music Direct on closeout special (msrp $2500). It is the equal of just about anything available build wise as well...dead quiet and glitch free, plus 32lbs:O)

My previous players were:

Levinson No. 39, 390s and 37/360s combo

Wadia 560SE

Krell SACD Std, Evo 505

Sony SCD-1, XA5400ES (stock) and Modwrighted

ARC CD 3

NAD C565BEE

Assorted other budget class players.

All aspects of playback are near state of the art...think $5K to $8K range. It even uses the latest 32 bit AK DAC's that have been embraced by the likes of Esoteric in their K series of players and same identical AK DAC's as in their O5 player. It has a 5yr warranty to boot!

Overall sound leans to the warm side with oodles of unforced detail along with killer dynamics and exceptional soundstaging. Very clean sounding and textural with great body and presence given to the music.
dave_b
Not better, but a really great bargain and built like a brick sh_t house (5year warranty)! I have never said anything bad about the Modwright XA5400 I owned, nor did I claim my NAD superior...just a great bargain. For the record, my Sony had reliability issues and my NAD recently died...after only one year:O( Sorry for being enthusiastic...this aint brain surgery folks, it's supposed to be a fun hobby:O) Lighten up...Davey say RELAX.
The Sony is superior to any Oppo player for 2 channel in my book. The Oppo still imparts it's "processor" sound on the music.
Modwright has a special this weekend only...I just ordered my second XA5400ES full mod wt Truth Umbilical and Bybee purifiers for the AC rails:) I made the mistake of selling my first one and have lamented ever since:( There will be music again, sometime near the middle of January!!