Modwright sony xa5400 vs Modwright Oppo 95

Anyone got a chance to compare modded xa5400 and Oppo 95 units? How would you define the overall sound character of the two? I am using Merlin speakers with ARS filarmonia amplifier. I like to listen Jazz and Classical mainly. Would like to have a great resolution, vocal clarity, focused sound stage and full bodied presentation (..of Piano and string instruments).
Not looking for comparison between stock and modded units.
Please help me decide between the two. Thanks.
celestial_audio

Showing 5 responses by anonymoustao

people with extended listening impressions of both units seem to be rarer than hen's teeth, but here's something to add to the impressions category:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/522131/modwright-sony-xa-5400es-truth-mods

it'd be great if robert levi at positive feedback, or ryan coleman at soundstage, did a review of the oppo mod, given their extensive experience with previous modwright work. unlike a reviewer, i don't think the average consumer would have much opportunity to compare the two units without buying both. i hope the few that have had experience with both chime in, though.
ask, and you shall receive! thanks, rfogel8!

would you please be so kind as to update the thread after you get your modded oppo and have a chance to do a side by side comparison? i think what you refer to as "blather" would provide a useful reference to anyone considering which unit to have dan mod. no pressure! :)
One question for both JMW and Rfogel8. I apologize if I just missed it, but could you clarify that these listening impressions are based on redbook and SACD. My redbook collection is probably 100 times larger than my SACD collection, so redbook playback is more important to me. I would imagine these observations apply to both formats, but we all know what happens when we assume.
I don't mean to come across as rude, but I don't really see the relevance of Dave_b's comment in the context of this thread. From what I've seen Dave_b has evinced great enthusiasm for any player he has just purchased, including the stock Sony, the Modwrighted Sony, and then a Nad/Yaquin buffer combination.

That said, Sstalwar asked for comments pertaining to both the the Oppo and Sony Mododwright editions, not the Denon.
"I'll make this simple...the Denon DCD A100 is one of the finest SACD/CD players I have ever owned."

Thanks for making this simple, Davey. :)