Modwright Oppo 105

I received my Modwright Oppo 105 today. It sounds good, but is relatively lean - and not very extended - in the bass. The sound overall is missing a fullness and organic quality that I associate with tubes as well. I have been using an Exemplar modified Denon 3910 for years, and so far I prefer it. Naturally, I am quite surprised and disappointed so far. I will be patient and put more hours on it, of course. I am very familiar with "break-in." Dan burned it in for 72 hours or more, but I have only put another 5 hours or so on it so far.

Has anyone else had this reaction/experience? Maybe it is the Electro-Harmonix tubes, and I need to try something else? I am also wondering about Dan's use of silver wiring. Thanks for any thoughts you have.

jfz

Showing 3 responses by brownsfan

This does not sound right at all. I'd be talking to Dan. This is not even close to the kind of performance you would expect. Sounds like far more that a little impatience with burn in. You might expect it to be a little sub optimal, but nothing like this.
The NOS Mullard GZ34, if you can find a good one, is a nice rectifier. It is a nice tubey rectifier. I actually prefer the current production Synergy 5AR4s to the old Mullards. Lower noise, even better dynamics with the synergy.
Also, I suspect the new power supply that Dan designed for the 105 is similar to the older power supply in being very responsive to changes in power cords. I have a VooDoo vector dragon in this application and it made a big improvement over the cord I was using previously. When you talk to Dan on Monday, ask him for a PC recommendation.

I use Sophias for the 6sn7 tubes, but you may well prefer the nos tubes suggested by MrTennis.
All of these are important but should be icing on the cake. Talk to Dan. This never should have left his shop.