Modern "Vintage" Sounding Preamps

I like my current preamps (upgraded & restored Acurus LS-11 & CJ PF1) but I'm wanting something at the other end of the spectrum. My preamps, being SS, are towards the "accurate" and "clean" part of the spectrum. What preamps (tube or SS) in your experience lean heavily the soft/warm/forgiving end of the spectrum? Caveats are they must be affordable (under $2K American new or used) and less than 20 years old. Yes, I'm sure a CJ PV5 is just the ticket, but it'd need rebuilding or, if rebuilt, would push well above $2K ...

greg7

Showing 3 responses by rodman99999

Purchase most any tube preamp, and load it with NOS, British valves (Mullard, Brimar, Genelex/Gold Lion, etc), to get that vintage warmth.

If that doesn't sufficiently warm your heart: replace the signal path resistors, with Carbon comps, starting at the inputs, until you're happy.

Some Paper-In-Oil caps exhibit a cozy signature, as well, in the signal path (ie: to warm up a later model CJ pre, replace any white or yellow (Mylar), plastic wrapped caps).

I had a few customers, that enjoyed that flavor and: "The customer always thinks they're right!"

I was in business, to satisfy whatever palate walked in the door.

Some ideas (soundwise), were you to find a nice 6SN7 pre, per tubes to choose:

http://www.audiotubes.com/6sn7.htm

The nine-pin miniatures, from those companies, have the same attributes in my experience.

If you want less warmth, with the minis: Those from around Holland, Belgium, etc, (ie: Amperex, Bugle Boy, Philips, etc) may suit you best.

There's a ton of fun to be had, if you take up tube rolling.

Even more, if you can (or learn to) solder.

If you do go tube: before you purchase tubes, be certain they are tested and certified to be, as absolutely as possible, QUIET.

@musicfan2349 -

Thought I was being pretty clear, but: the SP-11's signal path contains metalized, plastic film caps and wire-wound resistors, which (in my opinion) aren't, "vintage" parts.    It does have some older-tech components, in the mix, which (to me) does put it on the cusp of vintage/modern.

No doubt: that pre could be warmed up quite a bit, with the right valves.  

Basically, to me: the old Black Cat, paper/Mylar caps and Carbon comp resistors, in the signal path, were (largely) what gave the older gear (circa 60s/early 70s) the, "vintage" sound, some love so much. 

The older ARC pieces had Black Cats, in their power supplies, which may have warmed them up, somewhat.

I owned both SP-9 and SP-14 pres, which I greatly enjoyed.    Neither of which sounded like ARC's very early iterations.   Especially with the early 60's, grey shield, Siemens CCa in play (my 6DJ8 variant of choice).

Still: from ARC's inception, the goal was to resurrect/reintroduce tube circuitry (transistors being the rage, then), with a cleaner presentation, than what was available with older tubed circuits (as I recall).

Don't know how ancient you are, but; being 75 years old: I suppose my views are somewhat different than later generations, far as, "vintage".

Like I said, "Just MY take:"

It's not my agenda, to change anyone else's opinions!

Happy listening!

@musicfan2349

Just my take:

Though my response was how to obtain the sound signature in general; the OP already owns a CJ PF-1, loaded with wire-wound resistors and metalized plastic film capacitors, as is your SP11 (NOT a, "vintage" (though an excellent), piece of equipment).

The presentation they’re looking for can easily be attained; through a few simple, internal mods, or possibly: valve changes.

No further equipment purchase necessary.

I agree: there are numerous older components, well worthy of resurrection and updating.    I've done a lot of that, over the decades, though typically: to obtain less coloration.

Again: up the to owner/customer's tastes.

"My point, is why buy a new preamp/design when you’re looking for older sound?"