MM or MI Cartridge?

Currently using an SPU Royal N with a Viv Labs 9" and Kuzma Stabi R, and I am looking for a great Moving Magnet or Moving Iron Cartridge that I won't feel short changed by.

A couple of options I am looking at are the Grado Reference "The Reference" Wood 2 and the Audio Note IQ3, has anyone had the opportunity to compare these cartridges, and any other options I should consider that you have heard against either of these cartridges?

128x128alan60

Showing 1 response by owu497

I own several different cartridges from different brands, and here's my opinion (emphasis on opinion).

Didn't care for ANY of the Nagaoka line (had the opportunity to get them at cost, so I bought several in the line). I love detail and clarity, and I found them too warm and fuzzy.

Love the Ortofon line. Again, have heard at least a dozen representing 3 different lines. Can't go wrong with the 2M Black LVB 250 or the MC Cadenza Bronze.

I'd also look at the Goldring 1042 MM. It's a happy medium between Nagaoka and Ortofon. I'd recommend their Moving Iron 2500 as well, but it looks like they don't make it anymore.

Finally, I LOVE Clearaudio's Charisma V2. Everything that's great about MM and MC combined. However, it BETTER be great considering it's price. 

There, THAT should thoroughly muddy the waters.