ML 380/335 vs. BAT VK50 / VK60?

Before I bought my Mark Levinson 380/335 combo, I listened to lots of other things. But I never got around to listening to the BAT gear. (Closest dealer is about 2 hours away, and just never took the time.)

I am sure someone has made the comparison between the BAT gear and the ML gear mentioned above. Seeing as to how these are two very different setups, I am wondering if someone has actually heard both and can give me some idea of how the BAT gear sounds in relation to the ML gear?

Niels.
njonker
I have a VK50SE BAT preamp into Levinson 33H monos.
I had the Levinson 32 here, and preferred the BAT.
IMHO, Bat pre and Levinson amp have great synergy.

Paul
IAM SORRY TO SAY BUT I DONT AGREE. THE MARK LEVISON GEAR MUCH MORE DEFINED THAN THE BAT GEAR. THEY ARE BOTH GREAT.BUT I HAVE HEARD THEM BOTH AND I HAVE TO SAY STAY WITH THE LEVINSON OR YOU WILL REGRET IT. THE LEVINSON IS ONE OF THE ONLY AMPS THAT YOU PUT IN YOUR SYSTEM AND YOU DONT HEAR IT. AND YOU CANT SAY THAT FOR TO MANY PRODUCTS. I ALSO DISAGREE WITH THE STATEMENT MADE THAT THE LEVINSON AMP WITH THE BAT PRE HAS BETTER SYNERGY THANM THE 335 & 380. THINK ABOUT IT. IT DOESNT MAKE MUCH SENSE NOW DOES IT. I HAVE A 335 &A 38 I KNOW THE 380 IS BETTER BUT MY COMBO WILL SOUND MUCH BETTER THAN THE BAT SETUP. GOOD LUCK I HOPE THIS HELPS
Hello Sam:

I'm using Aerial 10t's, on the stands.Transparent Ultra and reference interconnect.

To Lev335: Great gear you've got there, enjoy! Please release your caps button. BTW, I use Martin Logan SL3's as rear surrounds. Great rear surround speaker.

Paul
Well I disagree with the above statement. Don't under estimate Bat gear. How do I know. I listened to about 30 different amps, before I finally said buy the bat cause the rest don't work in your system. I choose the bat over; to give you afew(AR,McCormick,classe,roland,rotel,audiomat, macintosh,signature,marsh,meridan,quick silver,krell, plinius and I could go on forever, there's quite afew I haven't tried including the Levinson so I can not comment on it). But the bat with Martin logans Aerius i, which I have is out of control, deep detailed base, seperation, midrange and highs to die for, did I mention it just disappear. Martin Logans are not noted for there base, but hook up the bat to it and it is unbelieveable, truely. Crank it up and the bat just stays completely incontrol. Now to be fair about it, I tried the bat tube cd player, the vk50se and vk200 together and I did not like it. Maybe the cd player or the 12 tubes in the vk50se just did not mix or just to many tube stuff happening between the cd player and 50se. Though the, my pioneer elite dv f07, bat 3i(6 tubes), and the vk200 solid state, is out of this world. Yes the surenergy is completely there... When I heard it I just knew the search was over. the vk200 is only 100watts but I think they were to conservative on that, it should be more like 200 or 250watts. Now not to say Lev335 is wrong but its all on what creates that surenergy with the rest of your equip.. Hell I say audition both side by side in your home, thats the only way I buy. If you have a good relations with the local audio shop, it shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure if I would go tube pre and tube amp all together. I like either one or the other; tube pre/ss amp or ss pre/tube amp. Hey what do you got to lose, it doesn't take $$$ to audition. Trust your ears. And I don't think you would regret bat. Heard alot of people say they have the best tube preamp around. Judge for yourself. I would go for the vk30. Good luck. Pete