Mistracking

I am re starting this thread with new found additions.

Does anyone have this new music fidelity pressing? Awesome to say the least, however on Track 3 on side one, "the wind that shakes the barley" I notice only on certain dynamic volume increases the recording sounds as though it was a little "hot" in the vocals? In other words I hear a ever so slight distortion for a split second no matter what volume level I listen to this track at. Could I have a bad pressing or do you think it's simply so resolving, it's coming through via the remaster? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

I installed a new Rega Exact cart which has the 3 point allignment that locks you into a nearly perfect tracking angle and I still hear the same ever so slight distortion in the left channel only. Again, only on the parts of the song where Lisa really belts out a lyric. And I tried it with a Graham Slee Era Gold phono preamp, same situaion.

Could the vinyl be damaged due to mistracking with a shibata stylus on the 2M black??

I'm at a total loss.
jimbojrjb

Showing 5 responses by rodman99999

I reiterate; the range for your Black, is 1.4 to 1.7G, so- you can try .2 more VTF, without exceeding the recommendations. Further- the Shibata stylus is very sensitive to VTA and Rake Angle adjustments. Does your table's arm allow for those? I'd still suggest obtaining a test record, and judging the cart's performance or making adjustments, via the tracking test cuts(controlled and accurate).
Another good reason for the purchase of the Shure Audio Obstacle Course test record: the anti-skate test track.
Mr S- Please, tell me: How can a cartridge, with it's anti-skate out of adjustment, ruin a track with no grooves? Mr D- I've found the anti-skate track, on the Shure disc, to be very beneficial. It's saved me a lot of time, when setting up cartridge/tonearm/table combinations(my own and others', over the years). Of course; everything needs to be verified aurally(and further adjusted, perhaps), but- I've found the blank test track, a much more accurate tool than most manufacturers' calibrated anti-skate adjusters or VTF/weight estimates(ie: Those given for Magnepan's shot-in-the-bucket system).
I find it interesting that both Shure(a company that MAY know just a LITTLE BIT about cartridges, and their function on a record surface) and Nautilus(which pressed some of the highest quality discs in the 70's and 80's), both included blank 'Anti-Skate' tracks, on their analog test records. I can't say much for Stereo Review's magazine(and never missed it), but their Model SRT 14 test record includes an excellent anti-skate test, consisting of two simultaneous tones of 300 and 303Hz. The phase of the tones varies between 0 and 360 degrees about 3 times each second. At 0 degrees; the groove cut is completely lateral, at 180; completely vertical. The overall level of the signal starts out low and increases. To make a long story short: Positioning oneself equidistant from both speakers; you listen for mistracking(a buzz which will start at some recording level) from one or the other speaker, and adjust your anti-skate in the other direction, until the sound occurs simultaneously, in both channels. Utilizing one of the blank tracks, from the first two test records mentioned, then verifying the result(which was never far off) with the 'SRT 14' test, saved me a lot of time, when I was in the business. And- I never had a customer complaint, regarding the results.