Mission 753 Floorstanders?

I have a pair of Mission 753 Floorstanders sitting in my basement. I bought them 20 years ago but have not used them in 10 years. I see no threads or interest here in Mission speakers. Does anyone have info or opinions on how Mission is viewed in the audio world?

I assume that they are of a quality lower than what the typical Audiogon poster would ever use. Thanks.
sruffle

Showing 1 response by xti16

Ahhh Missions. My first what I considered to be my first affordable audiophile speaker. Personally I think the original 770 was the start of affordable audiophile speaker. From there they had good and bad. I was ready to pull the trigger on a set of 765's when my local asked me to wait because he was getting a new Cyrus/Mission line. The 78x series. Well I'm really glad I waited an extra 3 weeks. I ended up with the 782 monitors which didn't sound as nasally as the 765's, smoother highs and although not as deep of bass a much less muddied bass. Best of all they retailed for 800 vs 1500 for the 765's. The only speaker I liked better at that time frame was the B&W matrix 3's but couldn't step up to the 2500 window sticker. Still have the 782's today but haven't listened to them in 3 years.

From some things I've read current mission speakers seem to be a surprising good value for the money although I no longer have any local mission dealers for me to verify that.

So my experience is that most the missions were a very good speaker value back in the day.