Mirage Omni 350 omnipolar

What can you guys tell me about these and the omnipolar sound?
I've heard it takes getting used to and that one usually likes or hates it. I've also been told that they are good for classical but not so much for rock.
What do you think?
If you've actually heard these please give me the rundown.
Thanks for your help.
griffinconst
BTW,

Did anyone notice that Vann's has the Mirage 150 monitors available at app. $150/pr. I suspect that some A'goners routinely spend that on wine by the glass (okay, by the bottle, anyway).

Marty
Well that bites the big one. I thought the vanns.com Omni 150's were sold individually like the 550's so I paid $159 a pair of black ones off of Ebay. That's what happens when you don't read. I could have had the blacks for $119 or the nice cherry ones for $149. DOOOHHHH!
Kkm,

I haven't listened to the Vandies in about six months so that's a toughie. Off hand I would say they are more similar than different. Both have the huge soundstage. As far as tone, coherence, etc. I really need to listen side by side. If I had $2000 to spend on speakers right now I would buy the Vandersteen CE sigs II without a doubt. You can pick up a pair of older ones for four or five hundered on ebay of Agon to give them a try. I bet you will love them. BTW, people say that the 1 series can effecient but I tried my 1B's with a 15wpc 6L6 tube amp and the bass was flapping all over the place. That amp can drive most other speakers fine.

Pete
07-18-09: Petewhitley
I will say that the bass on the 550s is overloading my room, which is 25x15x8. I need to work on that one.
Take the boxes the Mirage 550's came in, stuff them with wadded up newspapers, and place them in the room corners behind the speakers. These work as pretty effective bass traps and should give you a cost-free way to see if that's what you need. If you need WAF, you could just cover them in an attractive cloth.
I listened a lot last night and have some new thoughts. I put on Bob Dylan's Lay Lady Lay and noticed that I couldn't hear Pete Drake's steel guitar very well. It sounded distant and muted which bothered me. I remembered reading an AVS forum thread where I guy said that he couldn't hear some violins on an REM song with the 550's but had a pair of OMD 15's and could hear them plain as day. I then put the same song on using my Vandersteen 1B's and there the pedal steel was in vivid color. Not good for the 550's. I'm going to move the 550's upstairs to the home theater. I'm having a problem, by not using a center channel and sitting off to the side, of hearing too much out of the left speaker. Maybe the 550's will solve this.

After this discovery I can't recommend the 550's for critical music listening but for home theater they should be great due to the wide sound stage. If they fix the upstairs home theater problem they will be worth it but I really wanted them for critical listening. On a good note the bass boom problem seems to be going away as I play them.

If you want something awesome for little money buy a used pair of Vandersteens. You can't go wrong there.