Micromega M-100/150 field reports

Got a M-100 or M-150?  Share your setups, tweaks and observations, and help out your homies.

My initial M-100 config and some early observations in this thread.

Things I'm wondering about:

• hacks & upgrades to LAN infrastructure including h/w, and whether they make an objective difference in reproduction from the M-100/150
  • power cords/supplies, with same question (objective difference?)
  • MARS room correction performance & value
  • whether Micromega will have any relief for the abject instability of their Android control app (circa 2016)
usery

Showing 16 responses by benb

usery - curious how many different music streaming programs or apps have you listened to on the Micromega or others?
A couple other things, my Ethernet comes in from a Plume pod situated nearby (mesh Wi-Fi).  And the iOS app is in pretty good shape.  Also, so far I’m liking Roon for feeding it but Apple Airplay works pretty well too.  JRiver is just too terrible an interface for me to want to use it.  
I received my M100 last week.  So far, so great.  It is replacing a VAC Avatar Super, so going from pure tubes to pretty much pure digital.  The amp and streamer are outstanding with really good imaging and presence.  I run a Thorens TD125 Mk II (Vinyl Nirvana modded with SME M2-9 tonearm and Ortofon 2M Black) into the phono.  I can say the phono stage on the VAC was better, but the Micromega is very good.  I’m going to try feeding a Parks Audio Puffin to see if I can warm it up a bit.  
I have the MARS and really like it.  The difference on and off is not subtle and plan to leave it on auto (on).  Other items are a Purepower 1050 power regenerator and the power to the M100 is via an Audience Powerchord. I haven’t compared to stock.  
I haven’t had any bugs on the Mac side of the world.  A couple of 1-2 second dropouts where the WiFi wasn’t keeping up, but that’s all.  I like the internet radio on the app.  
One other configuration for the record is I run Audience Au24 speaker cable to Silverline Sonatinas (v1) with separate wires going to the speaker input on my Adire Rava subwoofer so the speakers run full range.  Good integration, especially with the MARS.  Someday I’ll play with the sub out.  
I’m using iPhone X and iPad Pro.  Both work fine.  But I think once the settings are dialed in, all of which can be done on the unit or the remote, there isn’t much need for the Micromega app.  At least as I’m using Roon.  Not sure if I’ll pony up the $$ for it though.  
I wanted to see if there were any thoughts on best ways to feed the Micromega M100.  I’m loving the Roon interface but from what I understand it feeds the M100 via Airplay which may not be giving the highest quality sound.  I also have Audirvana+ latest version which seems to output UPnP to the M100 giving all the filtering options.  Would adding a microRendu and feeding Ethernet into that and then USB into the M100 give even better sound?   The microRendu is also Roon ready which I think would open up possibilities within Roon.  Sorry for my limited knowledge on this part of computer audio.  

Now ow what I can say is that the Micromega M100 sounds absolutely fabulous almost any way I feed it including straight Airplay from iTunes.  It is making the best sound in my system ever.  So alive with great presence.  I would also say the mars is well worth the money.  It’s like buying a new set of speakers so in that light it’s a bargain.  

Thanks for any info info and hopefully this thread can keep expanding and become a good resource for owners.  

They are also also adding Roon to firmware hopefully by the end of the year, but that’s just for us “semi-incumbent audiophile “elite” on Macs” who like music more than equipment :)
Just FYI, Roon will also play internet radio.  For the price of an iPad mini, you might be able to buy a lifetime subscription to Roon and that may have a better Android interface (I don’t have any to check but it should be easy enough to find out on the web).  You can try a trial to see.   I’ve become a big fan of the interface.  
Djones51 - I’m always up for an excuse to buy a new toy.  My wife loves her iPad mini and I use my iPad Pro all the time.  

Usery - in my limited time playing with Roon, Audirvana, and iTunes as the means to get music to the M100, I would say they all sound mostly the same.  Some of the fancy Izotope DSD filters in Audirvana can affect the sound but I’m not sure if I prefer or not.  

Where im digging Roon is on the management of my music.  I’ve got 1300 albums and over 17,000 tracks and it does a great job of suggesting and browsing.  I’ve rediscovered a lot in my collection the last few weeks.  I’m just about to the point where I feel it’s worth the lifetime subscription.   But to each their own.  
The latest version of the Micromega iOS app now streams Tidal.  I don't have an account so haven't tested.
Usery - I was interested in your statement “The hype surrounding the playback performance of some of the pay-for apps is just that: hype.” And whether you have upsampled to DSD or tried various filter settings that are features in the pay-for apps that I believe has a lot of potential.  The “everything sounds the same” crowd, whether it is the resolving power of the system or the hearing, may dismiss, but changing pre-ring settings or some of the other filters in Audirvana result in real changes.  And as I’ve said before, the interface and ability to dig into your music collection in Roon is worth money to me.  Maybe I just come from the time when it was expected to pay for things related to music...
Just another informational update.  I had originally had my subwoofer hooked up to the binding posts.  I received clarification from Micromega on the sub out.  It outputs 20 Hz to 400 Hz while the binding posts continue to output full range.  So I hooked up an RCA cable from sub out to my subwoofers low level line in (with a y built into the RCA cable) and readjusted the sub controls since I get louder output this way.  I re-ran mars calibration and the system is sounding great.  Not necessarily better but a much cleaner wiring hookup and I’ve bumped the bass up a tad as part of the process and the whole system sounds fuller.
every time I turn it on, I’m struck by how much presence the human voice has with the M100.  
I played around for a bit with my Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6xx both with and without binaural.  For me loud is about 50 and I didn’t try to go up to 60.  So far I think the circuit sounds a little dark and not too detailed, but I want to spend some more time with it.  This is compared to my desktop Teac 501.  The binaural light sounds pretty good but the medium and strong sound too processed.  It would be nice to be able to add a little eq.
I measure the top it an IR thermometer at 95F and at the side where the “vent” is at 97F both at idle and running.  Can occasionally hear the fan with my ear close by but certainly not at listening position with no music on.  
I switched from fairly high end tube integrated and think the M100 sounds fantastic.  
As for Roon endpoint, I doubt anyone has it yet since they haven’t released it, but an email from Micromega assured it’s coming.  I’m looking forward to it since Roon has been one of the best stereo/music purchases I’ve made.  The ability to explore my collection in new ways is so worth the price.  For me, free doesn’t always equal value.  
There is a new firmware update and network update on the website as of this morning.  Fixed an iPhone app crash for me.
I’m having so much fun again with music, I got a new set of speakers - Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S.  I can confirm that the M100 is a wonderful match with these speakers.  Warm, detailed, great bass.  I can be happy for a long time with this combo.