Micro acoustics 2002e Cartirdge and upgrade bug

Hello, I got back into vinyl about 7 years ago and largely have used Micro acoustics 2002e cartridges. I can't remembered how I aquired my first one but I've become accustomed to what I think a fine sound from this cartridge. At the time, it was very highly regarded. I have heard, in other systems, other carts of the likes of the upper-end Grado wood bodies and Shelter 9000 and a few cheaper carts, and I have always felt the 2002e has held it's own against these. Now after a few years, I want to explore new territory and wanted to see if anyone here has had time with the MA 2002e and if they've compared it to other carts. What price range/quality of "modern day" carts would I need to spend to get comprable sound?

I have two phono stages at my disposal: Pass Labs XOno and Dynavector P75 II.

Any input is much appreciated.
aliu2

Showing 1 response by aliu2

Raul,
I have been using the 2002e for 7 years and, three years ago, managed to buy six more MA 2002e carts (in fine condition) for a good price, so I have enough of these to last a few years! This is what's creating my struggle. I'm contemplating whether I should try something new, but it needs to be a substantial upgrade, considering the further expense and the full stock of 2002e's I own. I just don't know how much better and at what price point do these newer carts begin to significantly surpass the performance of the 2002e.

You listed the Dynavector XV-1 and Ortofon A-90, $5200 and $4200 respectively. That's at least 40 times higher than I paid for the 2002e. How do you feel the 2002e compares to these higher end carts from Dynavector and Ortofon. Also, is the Nagaoka you suggest a significant upgrade or just marginally better? I know individual perceptions may vary, but I'm really interested in your thoughts.

--Austin