Metrum Onyx vs Schiit Yggdrasil?

Hey all:

I'm about to be in the market for a new DAC and have narrowed things down to the two referenced in the subject line. But I'd really like to hear more about each of these DACs. I can't really seem to find current reviews of them. Perhaps they're just older machines, or maybe my googling skills just suck.

I should say that I own and like a Metrum Musette, so I'm leaning towards the Onyx. But if the Yggy is great and could save me some money.

I ALSO HAVE TO SAY THIS: I would be using largely the USB input. I know the Yggy is supposed to have an awesomely engineered USB input, and I do wonder about the Metrum USB input. The Musette has a HiFace 2 USB input which, if I recall, was pretty good for the time (nine or ten years ago.)

So...if anyone can point me towards user reviews, I'd really appreciate it. Or if anyone wants to talk about their first-hand experience with either of these DACs, that would be really great.

Thanks, all!

P.S. I know there are a lot of internet darling DACs right now, but I think I've pretty much settled on one of the two. No offense to your favorite dac. :)

Ag insider logo xs@2xdasherma

@rowlandc31 - can you clarify what you mean by "pretty significant?"

The Musette I have has DAC1 chips (I think) so even DAC2 would be a huge change.

(Also, the DAC3 chips -- pricey!!!!)

Yes agreed - pricey.  Metrum used to have a deal where they would refund you part of the price of the DAC3 chips if you sent them back the old DAC2 chips.  That’s how I did it.  

but worth it (at least after the refund).  More resolution, spaitially expanded and somehow smoother too.  

I have the Sonnet Morpheus DAC from the engineers that also designed the Metrum line of DAC's. The two companies are now merged back into one company under the Metrum website.

It's a great sounding R2R DAC and I believe a newer design than the Metrum Onyx DAC. 

Thanks @relayer101 - I've thought of the Morpheus, but I'm put off by the volume control. Do you find yourself using it? Can it be bypassed? I really just want to use my amp to control volume.

@dasherma  -  You can set the volume control where it is a non issue. I run my DAC through a preamplifier and have set the volume on the Morpheus to a level that works well with my preamp volume and in the Morpheus settings have the volume control on Fixed Volume. 

The are some very good reviews of the Morpheus on the web with Stereophile being one of them.

I can't comment on the USB input that you mentioned as preferred as I run my streamer through the DAC with an AES cable. With that said I was just throwing the Morpheus out as a suggestion but I am sure the Onyx sounds every bit as good.