Merlin vs. Totem vs. Verity vs.????

I'm having to replace my beloved Vandy IICE's with something physically smaller. Associated equipment is an Audio Research D-115 mk2 amp (100 watt) , LS-8 preamp ( both tube), CAL Audio CL-10, and MIT 750 cables). Leading candidates right now include the Merlin VSM-SE, The Totem Mani2's or Forests, perhaps ( a stretch financially) the Verity Fidelio's , if they're half as good as the awesome Parsifals, and anything else worth listening to at or below the size and price of the Merlins. Question is, what should be in this group? The ProAc 2.5s have been recommended. How about the Meadowlarks? Anything else that ought to be in contention? JimB
jbards

Showing 1 response by chris6421

I listened to the Forest and own the ProAcs. They are not in the same league, either in performance or cost. I don't know about the others you mention. Is the ProAc colored? Maybe. Stereophile found it's frequency response not to be very flat. Perhaps this shifts the balance of certain music, but I find the effect to be subtle and forgivable, particularly given its deep powerful bass, and its startling portrayal of instruments. So yes, maybe the 2.5s are a little colored, in the sense that they present music as it out to be, rather than what the recording is. Another speaker worth considering would be the Audio Physic Virgos. Many people like them, they are supposedly more "analytical" than the 2.5s, but have some similarities in terms of size and cost.