Meridian 565 vs. 561 Differences?

Can the 565 be upgraded to 7.1 capability? What does the 561 offer that you can not get on the 565 or vice versa. Do both or either have analog by pass? I am trying to decide which to buy. Thank you.
golfnut

Showing 1 response by pharsyd

The 565 is upgradeable to the early version of the 568. The 565 last upsate version is the V6.2A which is autodetects video DTS and so on. I also believe the 565 sounds better than the 561 enough to say its not worth the price increase. Also 24 bit DACs then the 561 20 bit DACs for the 561 another difference. Also for the price that a good used 565 can be purchased, you can also pick up a 562v or v2 which gives you a multitude of inputs and outputs for the same price as most 561's. But at the same time, the updates i beleive as of now are done for the 565. My current belief with how slow video DVD's are progressing, this 565 would be current for quite sometime yet. ALot of the dvds today are still 5.1 only and although becoming more common, the DTS discs aren't super common yet let alone the other version of EX or ES and so on. As for music, i think the 565 is the winner between these two. HOpe this helps.