Measuring VTF on a Clearaudio Concept

Hello!

I'm a fairly new owner of a Clear Audio turntable, and have a easy (hopefully) question regarding measuring the VTF.

My eyes aren't as good as they once were which makes using the tiny balance scale that came with the table difficult. I purchased a cheap digital scale off ebay, but found the weight WAY off. After some research, I discovered that it's critical to measure the VTF at the same height of a record. The scale I purchased had the needle about 1/3" above where a record would be.

I've been looking at two scales.

1) Clearaudio Weight Watcher
2) Ortofon DS-1

I know the Clearaudio will measure the cartridge at the correct height. Does anyone know if the Ortofon scale will as well? The Ortofon scale is quite a bit cheaper.

Thanks
mustangjeff

Showing 1 response by dhl93449

How much is "way off"? I would not think that .33" will make that much of a difference, depending on the length of the arm. You do need to worry about cheap digital scales having ferrous parts that will draw the magnets of a MC cart, creating large errors. Usually the ones with stainless steel platforms will be OK.

I have an Ortofon DS-3 and its a POS. Mine would never zero correctly and had large errors. I actually purchased 0.5 g, 1.0 g, and 3.0 g calibration weights to check accuracy of the scale. The inexpensive digital scales from AWS (MB-100) work quite well, and are non-magnetic.