McIntosh Tube or Solid State - what way to go?

I own a McIntosh 2275 tube integrated and would like to hear from other McIntosh owners any thoughts regarding preference for McIntosh tubes over solid state. Has anyone gon from tube to SS or the other way within this brand? I am currently trying out the MC7000 and it is sounding good. I am looking to hear from other owners of McIntosh equipment as we are fans of the brand and my question is specific to this brand.
fogwell123
The cliche is that Mac tubes sound SS and vice versa, though I'm not sure how true that is: I have no experience with Mac tube amps. I do have SS MC501 monos and I really like them--they remind me in some ways of my 2A3 tube system in midrange bloom and emotive communication, and they provide an amazing grip and bass foundation that's hard to find in tubes. I can't say they're as resolving in the HF or as 3-D as the best tube amps I've heard (or the best class A SS), but the sound is very rich, coherent, and satisfying.
Thanks for this. Interesting what you say re the sound of the 501's SS, I am trying the MC7000 and as it is burning in the sound character is changing to what you describe with your 501s. It looks like these amps need lots of burn in before they come alive. How long did your 501's take to burn in? What pre are you using?
I've only had them for a few weeks and bought them used so they were well broken in. As a preamp I've been using a Bent TAP-X passive with Slagle autoformers, which is a terrific unit though not ideal for the MC501. A brand new C2300 arrives this week, which I expect to be wonderful with these amps in my system and supply that last bit of HF resolution that I feel is their one weakness right now. A friend has this combo absolutely loves it...and he's owned a ridiculous amount of excellent gear. Good luck with your MC7000. I've not heard it but I'd guess it'll be terrific.