Mcintosh MX-120 any opinions or advice?

Hey everyone,
It’s been a while since I’ve posted. Covid has me down in the dumps, so I’ve been keeping to myself more than usual.

I have a question....
What are the opinions about the Mcintosh Mx-120? I have opportunity to buy one from a friend for cheap, and while I have a very good, modern processor, I’m extremely curious about how this piece compares and stands up to modern standards. I realize it’s limitations, along with its target audience going in, but is that secret Mcintosh sauce still evident in the sound? Does it best a Marantz av8805 in two channel or even 5.1? Or any category? Furthermore, is it even worth buying?

Thanks in advance and be safe.
jonasandezekiel

Showing 1 response by elliottbnewcombjr

Never saw or heard one, It sure seems to be a great choice.

"For those who want the utility of a home theater but will accept no sacrifice in two-channel performance, McIntosh has released their MX-120 AV preamplifier".

https://hometheaterreview.com/mcintosh-mx-120-av-preamp-reviewed/

but, a careful check of features, lack of features is needed, i.e. only balanced out for front & external decoding might be needed.

" Low Points
• Since the MX-120 doesn't accept digital over HDMI it cannot decode any of the new uncompressed codecs of Blu-ray or SACD or DVD-Audio over HDMI. This necessitates use of the multichannel analog input and will require a higher end source, increasing the cost of the system.
• The MX-120 only offers balanced outputs for the front three channels.
• There is no room correction unlike AV preamps in its class.
• Tone controls are limited to bass, treble, and loudness control."