McIntosh MCD500 vs Marantz SA7S1

I recently had the opportunity to spend a few hours with each the Mac MCD301 and MCD500, both were excellent performers, with the MCD500 being a bit fuller with a hint more detail.

I also listened to the Marantz SA7S1 a little while back, thought it was a very good player as well, but definitely not as smooth or musical to my ears as the Macs.

I'd be interested in others opinions on these players, especially if you have any extended listening experience.
rjhalla

Showing 3 responses by know_talent

I am in the market for a new CDP and want something with a preamp section so I can eliminate one piece of gear from the system. Since I already have McIntosh monoblocks I am looking at either the MCD500 or using a lesser transport with a MDA1000 DAC.

I had a chance a few weekends ago to listen to some of my own music thru a MDA1000 (with the MVP871 as transport) and it was truely impressive. Problem is it was piped through a C1000T preamp so I didn't get a real idea of what the sound would be like going direct to the amps.

They have a MCD500 on order for demo and I'll be definately spending some time listening to it. In fact, with as good as the MVP871 feeding the MDA1000 sounded...it would be actually cheaper to first buy the MCD500 and then use it as a transport (and SACD player) should the MDA1000 sound better than the MCD500 on redbook alone...The MCD1000 transport is more expensive than the MCD500.