McIntosh MCD 201 CD/SACD player questions about viability of an older piece.

I have an opportunity to get a MCD201 CD.SACD player in a partial trade deal. probably used value about $2k

I currently do not have a CD transport/player I have been mostly steaming Digital after my multi disc player stopped working a few years ago.  I also have zero SACD's but a few hundred CD's. 

I just ordered MC2700 Preamp with the dac2 module and was thinking of adding a transport but frankly I do not see the value in the new McIntosh CD transports, the entry level one MCT80 is $5000USD, for a transport that seems over priced to me, regardless of how it looks on the outside its just a transport. 

So I have a friend who owns a MCD 201 who wants to do a trade deal.  yes its getting older (2007-2008 vintage)but its been serviced and works as it should ( for now).

I'll be using it as a transport only as i feel the DAC in it is dated and the new one in the C2700 should be a better sounding DAC, I'm assuming. 

Any recommendations either way as I know there are many transports for well under $1k that would do the job as well and with a new drive may be more reliable long term. obviously the others would not have the integration of a mac CD-preamp system. 

What's your thoughts, pass or consider? 

Cheers. 

128x128glennewdick

Showing 1 response by oldhvymec

Most of the time when you see regional failures or just random failures it has nothing to do with a bad product. It normally has to do with environmental issues. The lack of an AC cleaner and maintainer, poor maintenance practices and being WAY to rough handed. I see it all the time

Rough as a cob some of these people.. Strong hand are gentle hands, so I’ve been told.