McIntosh MC402

Has anyone examined and listened to the current McIntosh MC402 power amplifier? The MC402 is a 111-pound 400 wpc (into 2, 4, or 8 ohms) solid-state stereo power amplifier. I am very interested in this amp and would like to hear impressions from anyone who owns or has listened to it. Thanks.
texasdave

Showing 6 responses by aball

Many people know this amp - check the archives.

I think it is the best amp I have ever heard, or rather I have never heard B&W N803 sound as good before. It was mated to the C46 and 205. I listened to them for hours with all types of music. I will get that Mc trio one of these days. Arthur
I just wish the 6900 had the same digital volume control as the preamps. I guess the replacement model will.
Well, I meant in the future. They won't make the MA6900 forever and I bet they want to get optical lighting in all models eventually.
TAS had a rave review of the MC402 and C46 a few months ago and they received a Golden Ear award in the latest issue. Also, Stereophile rated the MC501 as their Amplifier of the Year in the Dec. issue. Check it out for their glowing opinions if you haven't already. Arthur
I really like Badly Drawn Boy too. Which album were you playing? I have them all and enjoy them often.
I started a thread with that question but got very few answers. As I understand it, they are very very similar in sound as well as topology.