McIntosh MC152 vs Cary Audio SA 200.2 ES power amps

Hey folks,

I’ve been using Classe Sigma Amp2 stereo class D power amp and am going to move away from class D amp and get a class AB amp. Nothing wrong with my Classe Sigma Amp2 class D amp and it actually sounds pretty good coming from a class D amp. My speakers are rated 4 ohm nominal impedance and are 87 db. They are Monitor Audio Gold 200 5g (latest generation) compact floorstanders. Tonally my speakers lean towards warmer side of neutral very laid back with very smooth highs & mids and very refined sounding speakers. these latest gen from MA Gold 200 5g sound very different from their prodecessor (their previous Gold 4g models). I couldn’t stand the previous generation 4g they were too forward and bright to me.

I also have Cary Audio CD 306 SACD player (latest version) served as my digital front end source component. And I run a pair of XLR analog out of the player to my Classe Sigma preamp and set the preamp in analog bypass mode.

I’m considering either the Cary Audio SA 200.2 ES (newest version) or the Mac MC152 power amps and they both are class AB amps. Which would be a better choice between these two amps for my speakers.
I’m currently using the Classe Sigma preamp but will upgrade very soon to possibly the PS Audio BHK Signature hybrid design preamp with vacuum tube input stage and SS output stage.

Any advise, inputs & thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
dilatante
How does your preamp sound with a different source or good RCAs vs XLR and no silver in the mix from the source to the preamp.

The same with the speaker cables. Are silver clad cables used in your set up?

200.00 usd of OCC XLRs or RCAs and Speaker ICs from china might blow your mind and save you TONs of money.

I'll go one further and say IF your amps saw 8 ohms vs 4 ohms or less they would sound a whole lot different because of some dampening (not much with a passive XO) but at least some. The mids would sound better with copper. The highs "copper" will tame and TIME. The BASS always likes heavy copper. 

8 ohms may not push the amps to be louder, but I bet YOUR money they would sound quit a bit different and still have plenty of head room..

They make pre filters that can do that. ??? I'm pretty sure they do..

Copper alone will change things a LOT... I can't talk you into tone control can I? :-)

I have a Big Valve EQ on order and thinking about a Big Valve tube active XO.

That gives anyone direct coupling to their power amps. Serious cone control great dampening..

87% @ 4ohms is 83% or so @ 8ohms.

There is a LOT going on, how is the room treatment? 

Unless you just want to own something different..

That works for me too..:-)

I'm just "TYPING" out loud...

Have fun..