McIntosh MA8900 - Worth Upgrading To? (From tube integrated)…

I know there are already a couple other threads on the amp but they are over a couple years old. That said - I wanted to see if I could get any recent insight/impressions of the MA8900.

I am thinking of “upgrading” from a Willsenton R8 tube amp. Really enjoying that amp and the tube sound but getting an itch to get into something more long-term/end game. I can find an 8900 for a good price so I am thinking of making the move.

Can anyone chime in on the sonic differences/improvements that I might hear between these two amps? Or just going from an all tube integrated to a Mc integrated with autoformers? Would love to keep the sonic characteristics of the tube sense of space, depth and holographic, 3D sound (or even maybe improve it?)

I listen to 75% vinyl and the rest is streaming.

My current gear:

Willsenton R8 with KT-77’s

EAR 834p Phono Stage

Bluesound Node 2

Denon DL-103r MC cart

Klipsch Forte IV’s

spooky73

Have you heard the MA8900? The MAC sound is quite different than most amplifiers out there, very detailed and neutral very good across all frequencies. The sound is not hard and not harsh ever, this allows you too really listen at loud levels for long periods without fatigue. Also, McIntosh amps provide a wealth of features most amps just dont have, not to mention youll be living with it for a really long time because these things rarely have any problems. MAC is the MAYTAG of audio. Im not saying this of all their products (god knows they make a lot) but MAC amps are very good indeed.

Matt M

Thanks for the reply. I have not heard one in my own system. I have heard them at my local high end audio store (even paired with my same speakers). But it’s just too difficult to actually evaluate since it’s not in my own space. 

Here is my suggestion.  Go to a Mac dealer and compare to other brands they sell. I did exhaustive research on what integrated to get for a 2 channel set up.   I have one of the best Processors for HT but for two channel it still isn't up to a good integrated for 2 channel.   

I was convinced the Gryphon Diablo 300 was the ticket for what I was looking for.  All the reviews said this was the amp to get.   I tracked one down and demo'd it. At the same dealer I was able to also demo a Lexicon 509X, Esoteric F-03 and Krell 300i.  At another dealer I demo'd a McIntosh MA12000, Accuphase 370, and Boulder 366. 

The MA12000 Mac is an impressive looking piece of gear, and also sounds really nice, but it's $15k and a 6 month wait unless you get lucky and find one somewhere.  I  found the Accuphase to sound very similar.   

I cannot directly compare because different shop, source, and speakers, but in the end I bought a Luxman.  It's similar to the Mac in that you can listen to it for hours and not get fatigued at all. I wasn't at all looking at this integrated but in the end, it's what I liked the best.  

So my point here is, don't go by someone else's opinion on what is best.  There is only one person that can answer that question and it is you.   This is a great place to get ideas, but then go to some shops and listen for yourself. 

Good points. Thank you. I really only have one option here in Raleigh. And they are big on Mc and Levinson. 

I do wish I could compare to a Luxman. But seeing how it can be a bit of a toss up between those brands with certain models, I honestly think Mc would work slightly better with my Forte IV’s (based on what I know abiut each brands “house sound”)