McIntosh - is it that great?

I'm just curious if McIntosh gear is all that great. How does their older power amps compare to new products from other high end manufactures? Are there any products I should stay away from. I like the idea of owning vintage McIntosh stuff. Most of their stuff seems pricy. Is it because it's that good or do people just like to collect their products. thanks for you opinions--Matt
mattman
The Ref 3 mates with any amp well. It has a very low output impedance. I cannot speak more highly of the Ref3. Supremely versatile and great sound. Sounds great balanced or single-ended. I have no desire to audition any more preamps or power amps. It is a nice feeling!
My journey to audiophile bliss started about 20 years ago, when I first heard my best friends Mcintosh gear. At that time he was running a Mac cd player(not sure what model), Mac 34v pre, Mac 2205 amp, oracle delphi turntable, Kef 104 speakers, and audioquest cables. My system at the time consisted of mostly good old solid Pioneer gear from the 70's, which was considered audiophile gear at the time. The first time I heard my friends Mac gear I was so blown away, I knew right then and there I would have Mac gear someday. Well it's taken me about 20 years to finally put together the finest system I have ever owned. Here is what my system consist of. 2 Mac 7200 power amps(each running mono for 600 watts per channel), Mac C37 Pre(chose this Mac pre because of the EQ feature and matches the Mac 7200s perfecly), Project Perspective TT with Sumiko Blackbird cartridge, Furman 20 PFi ac conditioner, Aerial 9 speakers, Velodyne 12" servo subwoofer, Straightwire cables and the rescently purchased Mac MVP universal player. Oh and what about my best friends gear? He has only added a Sonic Frontiers dac, the same Velodyne sub as mine and Tara Labs cables. Everything else remains the same and sounds just as good as the first time I had heard, if not better with the additions.

Enjoy the music,
Ron
I don't know, but I just bought a MC2102 here on Audiogon and I'll find out how good it is as soon as it gets here. I plan to bi-amp w/the MC2102 for the mid/high and 2 channels of my B&K ref 7250 for the bottom end. One thing's for sure, they sure hold their value because the one I bought wasn't cheap.
I've also recently purchased my first piece of Mac gear - a MC2102 tube amp. I'm using it to drive my Watt puppy 6.0's and I have to say it sounds just fabulous - open, airy and inviting. It replaced a BAT VK-60, which I still have, and a CJ 11A (which I'm using in a second system -
I can't seem to part with anything).

I'm not looking to upgrade anytime soon, but when I do it will probably be with a second 2102 - I love it!

The best American built are B-52 bomber, F-117 fighter, M-16 rifle, M1A2 tank and McIntosh Amplifier. I will pick McIntosh among all. Peace America!