MC275 Tube Rolling...

I would love to roll some tubes with my MC275 (the current production version V) It is highly appreciated if all you who are experienced drop a few lines... I would like to know about the tubes that you have ever rolled on this machine from the beginning until the end, the sound characteristic for the each of them and the one which you settled down with and of course... why the choice... Yeah, I am clueless of what tube to get since there are so many out there... All your inputs will be extremely valuable to me. Thank You So Much!
infinity_audio

Showing 2 responses by lapierre

Mullards, Telefunken and Amperex are the most common used for 12ax7 and 12ax7a in preamps and amps. Some tubes have higher gain or low microphonics with warmer or darker sound.

Magnumpi205 described it pretty well.
Another insight is to match your 12types during purchase. Whether you select Mullards or Telefunkens just make sure the vendor tests all the tubes as matched pairs. Same goes for KT88 you want a matched Quad of KT88/6550 regardless if it's NOS Genalex or GE, JJ/Telsa Blue Glass, Electro Harmonix, EAT, or SED.

FYI. Last year I knew nothing about tube rolling. Nothing!! But I was forced in to action because I started to hear popping sounds from the stock tubes and then my fuse blew days later.

Several phone calls later and hours reading on the web (GON and tube sites) I had answers to my questions.

What is your preamp and loudspeakers?