Marantz PM Ki Ruby vs Musical Fidelity M6si

I have narrowed down the options to drive my Dali Rubicon 5s. 
I’ve heard that unlike most marantz reference series gear, the ruby is not as warm. Also, uses a Class D instead of the usual Class A or A/B.

interestingly enough, I tried the musical fidelity m5si and it sounded quite good with my speakers.  It wasn’t as bright as I expected. It was lively yet warm. My budget allows me to go for the next level, so I’m wondering if I should go for the warmer Marantz Ruby or the MF m6si instead. 
If you own either of these amps, plz could you share your thoughts? There aren’t many reviews and really need your help. thanks!

prashanth13485

Showing 11 responses by prashanth13485

Thank you. M6si is a strong contender. Will ping you if I decide to go with it.

Nobody here owns either amps, esp the PM Ki ruby? Plz take a min or two to share your experience. I’d really appreciate your help. Thanks guys!
@nonoise thank you so much. This is very useful and I’m glad to know that you’re enjoying your gear. It always feel great when you return to a piece of gear after sometime and it sounds surprisingly better.  Stay safe. Cheers!
@Corelli

thanks for the detailed review of the ruby. I don’t think I’ll need the pre out (at least for the foreseeable future). All I care about is getting enjoyable music out of my rubicons. By enjoyable I mean detailed, transparent without being fatiguing. What the rest of your setup? Speakers and source?
@jl35 i just ordered the Herbie’s puck gliders to use under my spikes. Hope they live up to the hype. Cheers
@corelli.. thanks again. Just checked out your photos. What a beautiful listening room you got. 
Wish I had a dedicated room. Mine’s a living room setup so you can imagine the whole host of acoustic problems I am having to deal with. Next up, I want to do some basic treatment but I have to make sure that my boss (wifey) is happy with the decor.  Lol
@p3ga thanks for the detailed review. Funny enough, I have a very similar setup. I use the node 2i for streaming but is hooked to a marantz sa8005. I bypass the node dac and what a pleasant difference it has made. Everything is so much more musical and non fatiguing.
I’m fairly clear about the ruby but I’m also getting a decent deal on the PM 10 (still considerably more expensive than the ruby).
Have you had the chance to try the pm 10 by any chance? Is it worth the extra dough or should I stick with Ken’s last work of art with marantz ?
@p3ga  guess what.. I got the Pm ki ruby. Arrived yesterday and I have spent a few hours with it.

initial impressions, nothing ( and I mean literally nothing) sounds harsh at even very high volumes. Treble is definitely rolled off but there’s still plenty of detail. Mid range and bass are excellent. Vocals are gorgeous and bass is tight and fast. With the musical fidelity 5si, often times I couldn’t go past a certain point with a lot of tracks before it got bright and fatiguing. Don’t take me wrong, MF is a fantastic amplifier, I was considering going for his bigger brother 6si. Very lively and energetic sound. Very musical too. Was a bit too revealing for my dalis esp when playing tracks with a wide dynamic range.

Anyway, the negative seems to be the flip side of the pro. Everything sounds a bit darker and sometimes unexciting.  It’s too early to come to any conclusion but these are just my initial impressions.  Does this make sense?

what changes do you think I should expect as it burns in?  
Thanks again for helping me pick this amazing and unfortunately, underrated amp. I’m elated even with the way it is right now.

I am done looking for perfect measurements and clinical sound. I just want engaging music and the PM ruby shines on that front. Great work by KI!
@p3ga funny coz I just ordered the canare 4311 after a lot of research, and turns out it’s your recommendation.

I’m absolutely loving the amplifier. It’s opening up nicely, I can already hear a great deal of difference. Highs and mids are opening up and bass is punchier too.

That $20 power cable really make such a big difference? It’s so cheap that I cannot not try.

different topic, do speakers on spikes sound better than those on rubber feet? I have my Dalis on herbie’s rubber feet coz I have wooden floor. I’m wondering if I should buy those spike feet if they’ll make them sound better. Any thoughts?
@jl35 thanks for your response. Any recommendation for feet under the Dali spikes? I don’t want to damage the floor but at the same time don’t want to compromise on sound quality either.  I was consider the herbie’s pucks but there are several options on amazon for a lot cheaper. Having a hard time making up my mind. 
guys, if you’re using spikes you have to check out the herbie’s puck gliders. Not only do they make moving speakers super easy but also improve the sonics substantially. As far as I’m concerned, this is it for me.

perhaps, I may get a turntable at some point but the rest of the chain are here to stay and I couldn’t be more pleased with the PM KI Ruby. Cheers!