Marantz AV7701

I am experiencing horrible humm issues with my 7701 setup.
7701 is connected via XLR to 5 mono amps. Combination of Bryston and Wyred.
The 7701 when connected creates a humm noise independently of volume. The higher the amp gain and speaker sensitivity the higher the noise. I have a suspicion there is some wrong with grounding or what have you?
All units are powered and grounded via a BELKIN Power Unit.
Any ideas? I am ready to ship the 7701 back but wanted to get your input maybe i'm missing something...
Thx
tsulzbacher

Showing 2 responses by sodapop

I am running my AV 7701 with a Parasound 1206 and experiencing the same Hum/Buzz that others are talking about. My friend bought a 7701 and connected it to an older Adcom amp and also experiencing terrible hum worse than mine. I bought a Theta Intrepid and am going to test it with that Amp and will report back. I am wondering if all 7701's have this issue if you do not use the matching Marantz amp? This is bad news.
I contacted Marantz USA Support today and explained the hum situation. I informed the rep about the various online forums where numerous consumers are experiencing this same issue. He casually said that "many pre-pros have hum". He recommended that I buy a device called a "Hum- X". I said "so basically if consumers don't buy your matching amps, they will experience hum?". This seems to be the case. "So now I have to spend money to buy an ancillary 3rd party filter to fix what seems to be a Marantz design flaw?"

Well, this also seems to be the case. I ordered a hum-x via Amazon Prime for $59.00. What I like is that it installs inline with my Power Cord instead of being in the signal path via XLR's or RCA's. I will let everyone know in 3 days if the Hum-X cures the hum. This is disappointing and Marantz should fix the issue but if a $60 item will make the issue go away, this is still currently one of the best pre-pros for the money for sure.