Manley Snapper vs Neo-Classic 250

I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions/experience/thoughts on the sound differences between these 2 amps.
gwng8

Showing 1 response by ad03

Disclosure: We are an authorized Manley Labs Dealer.

Just thought I'd chime in on the discussion to add a consideration. The Neo-Classic 250s are clearly wonderful amps and will provide more than enough power for all but the most difficult loads. That said, the selection of your next set of speakers is very critical to your amplifier choice. Although important, be careful not to get too caught up with speaker sensitivity. Do pay very close attention to the speaker's full range impedance. Manufacturers typically report an average and this can get you into trouble with many tube amps. Look for a very flat impedance (i.e. easy to drive load). B&W is a prime example in many of their models, as their impedance is reported in the 4 to 6 ohm range, but upper bass frequencies can dip significantly. Your dealer should be able to clearly qualify his options given your amp choice.

On a separate topic discussed, please note that the Snappers can also be ordered with switchable triode/Ultralinear modes for a modest fee. We use dual mode Snappers in our store. They are also wonderful amps with the right speaker choice.

Hope this helps! Please support your local dealer.