Manley 300B preamp

I have ordered and am waiting for the arrival of a dream object: Manley Neo-Classic 300B. While waiting I thought of inviting owners of this preamp a thread where we can hang around for the latest news. Please feel free to describe it's sound, matching in your system, experience with different tubes etc. I would love to read about your experiences while waiting: then at least I can do some virtual listening ;-)
128x128musicophile

Showing 3 responses by joeinid

I can't add anything about the preamp but I just took delivery of a Stingray II and I am amazed how nice it sounds. I am so impressed I bought a pair of Neo-Classic 250's without even hearing them.

You have a great system. I would love to hear the Snappers, I bet they are wonderful. Those Tannoy speakers with the Alnico magnets must be heaven with the Snappers. Please keep us/me updated.

Thanks!
If you can believe this, I sold an Ayre KX-R (which is a nice preamp) and bought a McIntosh C2300. I really like the C2300 more but do not need the phono section. I swapped in some Gold Lions in the line stage and they definitely improved the sound. I have some Psvane and Mullard NOS waiting in the wings for when the Neo-Classics arrive. I can't wait.

I would love to hear those Tannoy's but I am very happy with my Nola Micro Grand References. My Nolas and some sweet tubes will be just the ticket to heaven.

Enjoy your Manley 300B preamp and let me know how you like it.

Joe
Just to clarify, when I said "I like the C2300 more" it's because the C2300 has a little more warmth, Yes, the KX-R is more resolving but I find now with the C2300, I don't think as much about what I'm hearing, I just focus more on the music. To quote a friend, "It's more delicious". Plus, it's nice having tone controls (with full bypass function) and a full function remote that does everything from my listening position.

Joe