Maintenance on Hafler DH200 & DH101

I just acquired these two units from a friend. Just wondering if there is anything I should do to maintain them. I plan on cleaning all the switches with deoxit. I was told by a local repairman that the caps shouldn't need replacing, but I'm not sure what he bases that on. Any suggestions based on experience? Also, can anyone comment on the sonic signature of these two pieces?

Thanks, Peter
peter_s

Showing 1 response by audiopile

Peter S - your service person could wellhave been right about not needing to do anything - the achiles heel of all older electronics is the electrolytic capacitors. Counter intutivly - electrolyic's will last considerably longer in steady day to day use than they will in storage. In other words really old NOS lytics are not a deal!
The problem is that a lot of us have at least some closet queens - stuff we haven't fired up in quite a while - but either have fond memories of how good they sounded in the back way and when or alternativly can't bear to take the brutal hit finacially that some less than wise purchase faces us with in today's world.
Electronics that have sat - un-used for years - should have electrolytics replaced - this can be a bit of a challenge with some older tube units or cosmetically un-usual chasis designs ( big ,nearly empty rectangular boxes are the easiest.)
Frankly - I've never owned a piece of Hafler gear that didn't sound good - maybe not the ultimate best - but damm good for the $$ invested.