Maintaining a "Balanced" System Design?

After recently upgrading my phono stage, amp and preamp to all ARC, I have begun to explore speakers and have plans to listen to some Joseph Audio Perspectives in the coming week. 

However, in the process of talking with the dealer, it was suggested that I should upgrade my interconnects and speaker cabling. He has suggested all Stage III gear, which is almost as expensive as the JA speakers. 

My question is not to necessarily debate speakers or cables, but to instead hear some thoughts about not over-weighting one's system with a component that exceeds the rest of the gear. For instance, I realized that my current turntable/tonearm/cartridge combination deserved more than the $3k phono stage I had been using. So I moved up to an ARC and really noticed the difference. Of course that brought me to looking at amplification and I am sure everyone knows the story from here...

But, how do folks allocate or balance their systems?  I am pretty sure adding $15k of cables is more than makes sense, but maybe not?

Thanks to all who would like to share their philosophy and experiences. 

128x128thr1961

Showing 2 responses by thr1961

@ghdprentice — thanks for your direct experiences with cabling for ARC. It sounds like you went through a lot of cables to arrive at the Transparents plus the Audioquests for power. Unfortunately I am not seeing any options for a trial run but I suppose I could call them. 

I also appreciate your perspective on the relative investment in cables. At this point I want to find a good match with my ARC reference gear and continue to ponder my speaker options. The Stage 3 cables have a reputation as super high end, but the $15k is just speakers and two interconnects, leaving me with 3 power cords to go!

@williewonka - thank you for the thoughtful response. I will dig into the specifics you detailed as I look at my options. 

@gdnrbob — I am coming around as well and will try your suggestions