Main vs. sub panel for dedicated lines

I am building a second home on my property. Will have a dedicated audio room. I will be routing 2 or 3 dedicated lines for my audio system. The high current devices for the home will be run off the main panel. I will install a sub panel supplied by the main to accommodate power for 2 bedrooms and a 1/2 bathroom.  

Question, should I run my dedicated lines off the main or the sub panel? I could move some of the high current devices to the sub panel if needed.

Thanks in advance for advice. 
mesch

Showing 1 response by gs5556

How far away from the main panel is the listening room and the two bedrooms and bathroom? The only reasons for a subpanel is to limit the voltage drop over long distances, or to group together outlets in a common area so as not to overstuff the main panel (i.e. a garage woodworking shop with numerous 240V circuits for power tool motors).

To give you a perspective: a #12 branch line carrying a load of 10 amps can be run up to 75 feet to keep the voltage drop under 2.5%. That is a lot of amps. If you go with #10 wires, then you can go up to 125 feet for a 2.5% voltage drop.

Since you have a dedicated service drop for the second structure, I see no reason for a subpanel with only three audio lines, one GFI bathroom circuit and one or two AFI bedroom circuits. Unless it is quite a big house.