Magico S5 vs Tannoy Westminster Royal SE

Hello, I need some opinion about these 2 speakers. I plan to acquire one of them.
Anyone who owned or tried these speakers please share your experience.

I won't be looking for any other brand.

I will use VAC sigma 160i to drive the westminster
Vs
Hegel H30 Stereo to drive the Magico S5.

Thank you.

Regards,
aprica
"Those that don't swap gear will NEVER EVER understand those who do."

I'm one who doesn't understand...but I still really enjoyed your post and the several interesting points you made/addressed.
Mike- interesting your MC275 sounds best. I would expect this as a more neutral tube amp (KT88-based) would work best with your new speakers which are quite warm or "sweet" as you say.

I've heard Tannoy/Cary several times and found it so syrupy and euphonic that I couldn't stay in the room (the 55k Tannoys with Cary 805s). Several people told me this was best in show. Maybe, most coloured in show :)

I've also heard Magicos and Spectral/Soulution and wanted to run from the room. Again, people told me this was the best of show.

There are many ways to skin a cat and it all comes down to preference. Folks need to relax a little.
Keith - I think you are correct. The MC275 V6 has great drive and dynamics. That being said, I dipped way way deep into my stock of tubes and brought out some NOS GoldLion KT88's and 1940's RCA 6SN7's - put them in the VAC phi200 and it took that amp to a whole new level.

I would say the VAC phi200 is now a notch above the Mc275 right now. I can't tell you just how bad the stock tubes are in that amp.

In the 275 Mk6, I'm using SEC 6550C's in V8, V9, V10, V11 and 18ECC''s in V1 & V7, CV4024's in V2 & V6 and E83CC's in V3 & V5. In V4, because its not used when using XLR outputs, I'm using some throwaway 12AX7 tube.

That being said, I am eyeing the Line Magnetic 219ia to try - the beast!
I contributed earlier in the thread, but am scratching my head about some of the latest comments.

Look, these are two entirely different speakers. I prefer the Tannoy - but that means Jack Shite.

They are both quite expensive and if spending that amount of your hard earned dosh you owe it to yourself to hear both and make up your own mind.

Basically that's all there is to it. The only purpose of threads like this is to figure out if its worth the time and effort to do that.

IMHO, for these two speakers, it is.

Happy listening.

Thanks
Bill
Good to see you on the forum Bill. Even though we differ in our preference in this instance, I know where you're coming from & respect your viewpoint.

Putting the above aside for a moment, the S5's are the most transparent and resolving of speakers, and are very coherent. As such, they will faithfully reproduce what is fed to them without editorializing. To me, although the S5's are a bit more laid back in presentation & warm sounding than the Q3's, and are easier to place than the Alexia's for example, they still require patience and careful setup to extract their full potential. I have heard Magico speakers sound haunting with Vitus Signature Series & Siltech Royal Sig series cables, and lean and unmusical with the old Soulution amps (have heard the new series are better). Another factor previously discussed is run-in time which is long (atleast 1000hrs).

As one member eluded to above, you could walk into a Dealer's showroom and hear a not-yet-fully run in pair of S5's with something like Spectral, Boulder or Soulution and completely dismiss these speakers. Yet if you take the time to get it right (ie: built your system around the speakers and fully optimize your setup), the S5's are capable of stunning sound.