Magico Mini II vs. Magico V2 comparison

Hello,

I am looking for new speakers for my system.

After auditioning many famous brands I found the Magico V2 to be simply outstanding in my system. This is the best speaker I have tried in my own listening room. The second speaker I was comparably impressed were old Guarneri Hommages. Other speakers I have tried did not impressed me or simply played bad.

The room is 20’ long and 13’ width. The amplifier is 60W Jadis JA-80.

For my room I prefer monitor speakers than floorstanding. Doeas anybody compared directly side by side Magico V2 and Magico Mini II? I am especially interested in bass preformane. Is Mini II has less bass than V2 it will not suits my taste. The bass of the V2 is just enough for my room.

If somebody compared new Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento with Magico Mini II I will be also grateful for opinion.
milimetr
Btw,I should have mentioned that I am very familiar with that lovely looking(really gorgeous)and silken sounding Jadis JA-80.

I have a friend who ran it on the mid/high sections of his Infinity RS-1B's.He wrote the Mercury LP series for TAS,and a good bit of those "classic reviews" were with the Jadis in use.Not too shabby at all-:)

I heard it on many occassions,and though the wattage was only 60wpc,those panels(not efficient,so an accolade for the amp's clout)really opened up,and sang!

The crossover,at the time,was set to kick in just above 80 hz for the Jadis to come into play,but still having owned the Infinity's myself(for three years)that amp had darn good dynamics.I never thought anything was missing.

Damping factor could not have been too bad,as the amp delivered the goods!Just take a look at that oversized power supply,if one can get past the stunning chassis,which isn't easy.....Real eye candy!

I'd not worry much about driving the Mini,or V-2,unless you like to split plaster.

Hope this helps
I have no information about damping factor of the JA80 (manual does not include this parameter), but output transformer seems to be oversized 10x compared to nominal output power. Also both monoblocks uses 8 power tubes (KT88 in my case), still rating output power as 60W. Many other manufactures (like Audio Research I have owned before) rates their amps using 8 output tubes as 100 Watts. I understand that we cannot judge power only on amount of tubes used, but still I think that 60 Watts for Jadis is conservative rating. I think that this amp works well even with difficult loads because can deliver enough current.

Back to the topic.
I am really impressed by performance of Magico V2. I am sure that if you can buy this speaker in US with some discount at retail prices it is really worth that money.
However the prices of Magico in Europe are ridiculous as I mentioned before. For example suggested price for V2 is about 32.000 $ and Mini II funny 56.000 $
I am sure that you agree that for that prices enthusiasm for that brand can be a little moderated. For comparison Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento which is indeed great monitor also can be purchased for about 14.000 $

I have no doubts that Mini II is in different league but what I am trying to do is to judge if the difference in price are worth difference in performance.

Here is the list of speakers I have auditioned. These are speakers from different price levels, different sizes and efficiency. As I mentioned before the V2 was the speaker that impressed me the most of all in my own system. Other speaker that impressed me in terms of unlimited dynamics were Wilson Audio but I found them not as delicacy and refined on the mid and top as Magico, but definitely greater bass. Next very good speakers were old Guarneri Hommage – here I got the very musical and involving sound but not at comparable scale to Wilsons and Magico. I think that speakers like SF monitors are for a little different listening habbits – more intimacy contact with music.
Few speakers I have auditioned were to large or to expensive – I auditioned them to become familiar with “house sound”. The biggest disappointment were Avalon Indras that sounded literally as broken in my system. Even Ascendants II sounded better. I suppose that Avalons are quite interesting speakers but very fussy about placement and associating equipment.

Here is a list – I hope it helps someone (the @ indicated auditioning in own system at home):

Thiel Audio CS2.3 @ (owned for 8 years),
Thiel Audio SCS4 @
Thiel Audio CS3.7
Magnepan MG 1.6
Wilson Benesch ACT @
Wilson Benesch Trinity with Torus sub @
JM Lab Diablo Utopia @
Living Voice Auditorium II
Wilson Audio Sophia 2
Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy System 8
Avalon Acustic Ascendant II @
Avalon Acustic Indra @
Harbeth M40.1 (also great but too big for my room)
Harbeth SHL 5
Vandersteen Quatro @
Sonus Faber Guarneri Hommage @ (this speaker leads me toward new GM)
Sonus Faber Amati Anniversario
Sonus Faber Stradivarii
Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M @
Audio Physic Caldera
ART Loudspeakers Emotion
Lowther Audiovector (different world of speakers)
Lowther Bel Canto @
Magico V2 (the most jaw dropping from the list)
Milimetr, what did you think of the Cremona Auditor M compared to the Guarneri? And how did you like the JM Lab Diabo?

Thanks in advance
The GH compared to Cremona Auditor M were much more transparent and clear sounding with better high and better bass control. Cremona seems to have more bass extensions and is more universal speaker. Also Cremona have more sweet midrange but GH is more neutral sounding speaker. Both are great but Guarneri is the class for its own.

As for the Diablo Utopia I do not like them in my system. These were over technically sounding speakers. These speaker almost killed all beautiful tonality and richness that Jadis is capable of produce. The bas was extended and tight but overall sound was uninvolving. But it can be system or room mismatching.
Mili....You are smart to realize that it is the combination of amp/speaker(let's not forget the room)interface that determines success.....I have a sneakey suspicion that you are ultimately going to have a fabulous system.

Aside from that,you could start another war with all those choices-:)

Also,just my opinion,but your amp is beautifully smoothe,while not colored,so if you move towards a higher resolution speaker design you should have great success.

It's your call,and I know it is not easy....but...it's alot of fun....NO? -:)

Personally,those Little Sonus Fabers are very fine.I've heard them a few times and like them alot,but that is one man's opinion.

Good luck