Maggie Fans Chime in: Need recommendation for amp to drive Maggies (MMGs and 1.7i)

Hi All,

I blew up my work horse amp (Anthem MCA 20) and need recommendations for an amplifier which will drive my 1.7i's. I listen to a lot of Jazz, Funk, some EDM, rock, and occasionally classical. My budget is < $1000. I am happy with used gear from here or other markets. Looking for something reliable and rock solid. 

Any thoughts from Y'all Maggie fans is much appreciated. 
128x128birdfan

Showing 1 response by noble100

Class D amps in general have worked very well on my Magnepan 2.7QR speakers. I've used two stereo class D amps (Class D Audio SDS-440-CS and an Emerald Physics EP100.2SE) and I'm currently using a pair of D-Sonic M3-600-M mono-block class D amps.
     In general, good class D amps have extremely low distortion levels, dead quiet noise floors, have very good bass response, good dynamics, are very detailed and have a very neutral overall sound presentation, adding or subtracting nothing from the inputted signals like the audio amp ideal of performing like "a straight wire with gain".  The midrange and treble on good class D amps is detailed, creates a solid and stable soundstage illusion good but is still smooth and avoids being bright or harsh.
     Before trying class D I had used good quality class AB amps (Aragon, Adcom and McCormack) for decades.  Based on my experience, There are many good class D and class AB amps that would drive your Magnepans very well but I would suggest using a good class D amp unless you're willing to buy an expensive  top quality AB amp like a Pass.  
     Class D advantages you'll clearly notice are a lower noise floor, better bass response,better dynamics and a more neutral and revealing overall presentation.  I would characterize their midrange, treble and soundstage performance as very similar with good class D having the edge on detail level over the good class AB amps I've used in my systems. 
     There are also numerous non-sound quality advantages to class D amps over AB amps: smaller, lighter, cooler running, more electrically efficient and relative affordability.
       The best bargain/best value class D stereo amp I'm currently aware of is my initial D amp, the Class D Audio SDS-440-CS at about $650. It's an all around very good  performer for the price. American made, not exactly ugly but definitely not audio jewelry.  Here's a link:

https://classdaudio.com/sds-440c-class-d-audio-amplifier.html

If you buy one, you get a 30-day in home trial period, you can get a full no questions asked refund if you don't like it, no risk.  My experience was it sounded great right out of the box but gradually performed even better over the next 6 months or so.

Best wishes,
      Tim