Maggie 3.6 vs. Talon Khorus?

I know what the Khorus sounds like but I am not near a Maggie dealer. Can anyone help me with how the sound on the 3.6 is vs. the Khorus? I think I am going with one of these 2 for a complete 7 pc. HT system so I really need to know which sounds better for HT purposes vs. music as this will be used 65% for HT and 35% for music. Thank you for your input.
golfnut

Showing 2 responses by tok20000

I had the 3.6's for about 3 years.

Amplification makes all the difference in the world with the Maggies. They are 89db sensitive and not easy to drive. The more power/amperage you can feed them, the better they tend to sound. Very few 100 wpc amps can come even close to comparing with what 500wpc to 1000wpc can do to the Maggie sound. This is my main complaint against the Maggies... owning them gets you into a viscous cycle of upgrading amplification. Yes, I have heard the 3.6's driven by an AR CA50 integrated amp (50 wpc tube power). No it did not sound nearly as good as driving them with a VT100 mk2 amp which did not sound as good as driving them with a Plinius SA-250 amp which did not sound as good driving them with two Plinius SA100 mk3 amps in MONO (665 wpc into the Maggies).

If you do get the 3.6's, and you experiment with different amps, you might find yourself craving as much power as you can afford (or that you can put on your Amex card, heh heh).

KF
Oopse my mistake Cytocycle , you are correct Maggie 3.6's are 86db sensitive. DOH!

Donno what I was thinking when I posted 89db, heh heh.

KF