Maggie 1.7i's lack detail. Ideas?

Hi,
In about 1979 I had a roommate who had a pair of Magnapan's, an amp, pre-amp (at least one of which was NAD, and a fairly high quality turntable.  I was shocked and amazed about the feeling the singers were present in the room with me.   The accuracy and detail of the sound.

Fast forward 40 years and I purchase a barely used 1.7is.   I have a new Marantz NR1200.  A 15 yo BK EX-440 Sonata (350WPC @ 4 ohms), and optical bit stream out Sony DVD player.  I use optical cable between the DVD player and NR1200.   I have fairly high quality cables between the pre-out of the NR1200 and the EX-440.  I have somewhat high gauge copper stranded cable, about 6', between the EX-440 and the speakers.

The sound is not bad but very much lacking the detail and immediacy I remember in the highs and mid-range.  A great disappointment. My question is what the most likely culprit?

Some possibilities:
1. My hearing has declined.
2. I've a romanticized memory of the sound quality.
3. What I was hearing was the mushrooms.
4. The speakers my roommate had were a bit wider.  Maybe more like the 3.7s.  Maybe 40 year old 3.7s are just that much better than current 1.7is.
5. Stranded wire cables.
6. Turntable that much better than CD.
7. ????

jros

Audiolab CDT6000 Transport and the Musical Fidelity V-90 DAC is a nice combo. You'll spend about $500 for transport (Audio Advisory price for new) You can buy a very good digital cable for less than $250. Audio Art, Straightwire, Acoustic Zen. So many to choose from. I won't name the other 100+ of them. I just own at least the 3 mentioned. Used usually comes with burn in time served, also. :) 

Pre+ Amp combo is a definite. Adcom 555 puts out 320/4 0hm load.You can buy a good 555 for $350 to $500. I have 2 555s and will run them in mono once in a while. ( Claim 800+ watts into 4 ohm. I also use them on my Acoustat Spectra 3s in various configurations. (One amp, bi-amp, 2 amps using the internal crossover)

The 3.7s are just fine with me. I have had the Acoustats since 1988. I think the Maggies will take me down the road until the 6 feet under pair come out.

It ain't the speakers. I have Acarian Alon 4's, Audio Research LS-16 pre amp and McCormick DNA amp..Very happy with setup..Before my father passed away, he asked me to get stereo room 2 with $$ he left, so when I listened I would think of him. Covid had hit. I was familiar w/Magnepan and thought they would be a good compliment to the Acarian Alon 4's. Without demo, I bot the Maggies with Parasound A21+ and Prime Luna pre amp. Spent some time setting the speakers and the sound is better than wonderful. My thought is that you need better matching electronics. If cost is a matter (and isnt it always?!!), buy used solid state at half the price. Only other aspect is you bought these "slightly used". Do you have a dealer nearby??

The B&K EX 440 is perfect. I had the Maggies at one time. Loved the set up. Paired well with ARC LS2B MKII. The key I agree with SNAPSC need to be 3 feet from front wall. The only thing I had in between was The B&K.

Since that time I moved and did not have the room. I still have the B&K had it recapped. The Bass is incredible.