Made in America

I just saw on ABC news a segment about made in america and was curious if made in america meant anything to the audiophiles who live and work in the good ole USA.
wmbode
Tonywinsc, yes I realize this is quite complex. I agree with your assessments and can provide some examples from my own experience to support your comments. Also, I think your comments about management and the lack of true leadership are spot on. I would simply add that the perception of consumer demand is what drives the market. In addition, it would be foolish to ignore the contribution of investor demands on publicly traded companies.

For me, made in America is not as important as performance, quality, and price. My spending reflects this.

Nonoise, the cable industry is not a free market in any way and the subsequent high prices are the result. This is a classic illustration. There is no competition as most locations have only one cable service provider option. The cable companies try to argue that DSL, satellite broadband, and satellite dish are competitors. I would consider them substitute services, not competitors. Economists have a name for this, but it escapes me at the moment. Practically, it is a government approved monopoly.
Amen. It's pay for play on a national scale. Politicians are for sale and gladly prostitute themselves for the right price. Local competition is a thing of the past. Monopolies kill off competition and jobs.

What we, as a nation need, is another Teddy Roosevelt (the Trust Buster) to tackle those who would subvert this economy to their own ends. It's the same old story as before: history is repeating itself.

It kills me to think that someone as evil and pernicious as Murdoch will end up owing the Chicago Tribune and the Los Angeles Times if the FCC allows barriers to cross ownership in media markets to end. That will be the one of the final nails in the coffin, so to speak. Those who control the "news" controls opinion.

Countries have borders and boundaries. They should be honored and protected. "Global Economy" is nothing more than a catch phrase used to fool and justify those who don't care to take a closer look. Trade should always be encouraged, shops built overseas, if needed, for foreign markets if local shops can't meet foreign demand, and treaties made to allow it.

To undermine and dismantle one's nation and economy and destroy the infrastructure of its citizens so an oligarchy can enrich itself on a global scale is nothing short of insanity. That process subverts the very concept of a nation. Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done. Examples abound.

It's a pathology in a shiny wrapping with a beautiful bow atop. These actors are nothing more than sociopaths with high level addictions. It's time for that 12 step program to kick in.

All the best,
Nonoise
An interesting topic, and one that was on my mind when I assembled my audio system. One of my requirements was "Plenty of Made in America" and "Absolutely no Made in China". I ended up with the following:

Tyler Acoustics speakers (made in usa)
Decware Zen Torii amp (made in usa)
Blue Jeans cables (made in usa)
Slim Devices transporter (made in usa)
Arcam CD player (made in england)
North Star m192 mk2 DAC (made in italy)

So I think I have achieved my goal, mostly made in usa, with a few made in western europe, and zero made in china.