Luxman L505u . . . why not?

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these--an upgrade from my Rotel receiver. Before I do, I'd like some perspective from the learned A'gon community. First, will it be a significant upgrade from the Rotel? What kind of sonic improvements can I expect? Second, why shouldn't I buy from Audiocubes II? http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Luxman/product/Luxman_L-505u_Integrated_Amplifier.html
I know On a Higher Note is the official U.S. distributer, but my budget pushes me towards the less expensive purchase option. Third, regardless of where I purchase it from, it will need a transformer to boost the power to 220. I don't know anything about the possible effects this might have on sound and performance of the component--can anybody speak to this? Is it possible to have the piece modified to accept the U.S. 110 current? I want the piece because it meets my requirements for an integrated: it's at least 100W, it has speaker A/B (I've got speakers in the kitchen and the main living room), it's got a great phono section (I play 50% records, 50% CDs), and it's got a headphone amp. Those are the features I want in an integrated. Any advice, suggestions, dissuasions will be appreciated.

Danny
rosedanny
if anyone has a good Luxman dealer in the US, please email me offline.

cheers,

KR
Hi Nolitan, as I said before, I have not been able to compare the 505u and the 507u at the same time. The 505u also was not given enough time to "mature" its sound. That is why I can not really say that the 507u is much better then the 505u. Bottom line is that the 505u really amazed me, as in the same way the 507u does. If I were you I would certainly start to listen to the 505u. Maybe I will do a test with a 505u and 507u at the same time.....that will answer lots of questions.
When are you planning to buy a new amp?
Thanks Paul- I have briefly heard the 505u at the dealer & was quite impressed with the sound.
The one thing I immediately noticed is the dynamic & lively sound.
I'll listen more to it after I get back from my out of town trip.
Well, it has been over five months since my last contribution to this particular thread. I have some new information that I feel compelled to share.

I purchased the Luxman507u, and have been comparing it to my former unit, the 505u. Here are my impressions:

- The 507u is superior in terms of clarity, depth of stage, and overall dynamics.

- The 507u is superior in terms of power.

- The sound 507u appears richer and more ambient.

In a nutshell, I can tell you that while its cost is double that of its predecessor, its sound quality is indeed noticeably superior.

I purchased the unit from a Japanese-superstore with a bank transfer. Some people have taken the liberty of questioning the ethics behind my purchasing from an overseas store. While I can understand the desire of others to purchase only from a US-Luxman dealer, I politely contend that these units, which are masterpieces of the industry, should be made available to the masses - but the current middle-man cost additions, which are undeniably exorbinant, unnecessarily prohibit this from happening. I would also add that the warranties of all US-Luxman units are limited solely to their original purchaser, and are utterly non-transferable upon resale.

As an electronic technician with 30 years of experience, I can assure based on experience that using a Japanese transformer (chiefly Sanyo TSDN15LU, and Nissyo NDF1500U) will not degrade sound quality. Claims to the contrary are incorrect - years of both personal and consumer products testing have yielded no evidence to support such a claim. Japan, Brazil, Taiwan, parts of Columbia, and North America use 100 to 117 volts, 60HZ. There are no issues using these transformers in the aforementioned countries. But I would not recommended using European 230-volt, 50HZ against the USA 117-volt, 60HZ via transformer. Additionally, the transformers I recommend will stay cool despite hours and hours of continuous operation, and provide unwavering 100-voltage output - which eliminates the need for a power conditioner.