Luxman EQ-500

Wondering if anyone has/had the Luxman EQ-500 phono stage?

What cartridge are you using with it?

What settings are you using with it?  Gain: 36/36/40 dB, hi-mc or low-mc, loading, etc?

Any noise or tube rush or hum?

Have you tried any outboard SUT's with it?

How does this phono stage compare with others that you've had?

Thanks much,
Don
no_regrets

Showing 3 responses by no_regrets

@grk   Thank you so much for your reply!  That's kind of ironic that the battery powered phono had hum :)  I appreciate you sharing the sonic differences between the various phonos that you've had and this Luxman....that is very helpful!  Could you help me understand the various gain settings and how they work when using the MC High settings vs me using just the Moving Magnet input?  I'm just confused about this for some reason.  Thank you for your help :)

@oranfoster   Thank you also for your reply!  I appreciate your response and telling me about the musicality of this phono stage with the excellent example of the Beethoven Piano Concertos. Which gain settings are you using with your Cadenza Black?  How high do you have to have the volume control before you start to hear any hiss or tube rush from the EQ-500?  I look forward to sharing more with us about this phono stage when you have time :)

Best Wishes for great health and happiness this holiday season,
Don

@grk   Thank you for your reply.  I appreciate you helping me understand how the various gain adjustments work :)

So if I understand correctly, when using the MC High input, the output in dB would range from 55;57;59 respectively to the 36;38;40 moving magnet dB gain settings therefore resulting in an additional 19dB over the moving magnet stage.  So that looks like to me that the step up ratio of the MC High SUT would be roughly 1:9 which would show a load to the cartridge of roughly 580 Ohms based on 47K input impedance. 

It looks like the MC Low input will add 27dB to the corresponding moving magnet gain settings which should calculate a step up ratio of roughly 1:22 showing the cartridge a load of roughly 97 Ohms based on 47K input impedance.

I think one of the features that I like best about the EQ-500 is the flexibility of using an outboard SUT into the moving magnet input.  This should allow you to not only be able to adjust the amount of gain 36/38/40 db, but just as importantly, being able to fine tune the loading.  

If I am understanding this correctly, by using an outboard SUT into the moving magnet input, you wouldn't have to use the standard 47K input impedance, but could adjust it up to 100K.  By doing so, if your outboard SUT had a step up ratio of 1:9, the cartridge would now see a load of 1234 Ohms; and with a step up ratio of 1:22 it would now see a load of roughly 206 Ohms.  Having the ability to fine tune the loading in this manner can greatly affect the sound of the music in a very positive way!

The more I learn about this phono stage, the more interesting I am finding it to be.

Wishing you all the very best of health and happiness this Holiday Season!

Don
Nothing like relaxing with a nice glass of wine while listening to your favorite music :)  I figured it was just a typo, but the main thing is that thanks to you, I think I finally understand how the gain is structured.  Thank you!

I think the ratios should be relatively accurate as I was using a Step Up Transformer Calculator that can solve for gain and impedance depending on which variables you select for input impedance and the turns ratio of the transformer as found here... http://www.mh-audio.nl/Calculators/StepUpTransformer.html

I've been searching many of the various forums for additional information about this phono stage, but haven't found many experiences of people using outboard SUT's.  Of the one or two people that have said they used their own SUT, it sounds as if it has been quiet, but not much of a sampling.

It seems as though the EQ-500 is a very nice phono stage.  Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and experiences with me :)

Best Wishes a safe and healthy holiday!
Don